--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As fishermen, we want to fish as much as possible. It doesn’t matter if it’s late July and a hundred degrees outside, we head for the lake. Between trips we dream and plan the next one. We are just like a real life line from the theme song of the Hank Parker fishing show—the grass may need mowing and the roof may have a leak, but we are gone fishing or we are thinking about it. When I was working summers during college for a plumber, he once told me that he often pondered which was the worse—skipping church to go fishing of sitting in church daydreaming about being fishing.

As fishermen, I fear our life is not balanced. Sometimes, I think we get too focused on going fishing that we fail to look for other interesting activities. Life must hold interests in other areas—there are just too many non-fisherman who claim to be leading interesting and fulfilling lives.

I thought I would try something different this year. Why spend August on the lake getting sweaty and sunburned when I can sit at home in the air conditioning? Why spend all that gas money running up and down the lake? Why have to clean fish and clean the boat? Surely there is something else I can do!

I stared looking in other areas of my life and exploring other interests. You might say that I stuck my nose into places that it doesn’t usually go. I looked long and hard at alternatives and finally found it! Here it is--