Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Refugees

Senior Member Master in FishingTX reedlv's Avatar

Thumbs up Louisiana Refugees

A good friend of mine (Eric Johnson) and I will be in Mont Belvieu Wed. or Thursday evening cooking and serving food for the Louisiana Refugees (118 people). Our plan at this time is to keep it fairly simple. We are planning on cooking chicken, hot dogs, and hamburgers. We will have all of the fixings. I thought that with all of the good people on this site. I would make a post for those of you who may like to help or donate to feed these people in their time of need.
    I have borrowed a pretty large pit to cook everything. The plan is to make up individual serving size portions of potatoes, carrots, squash, maybe a big pot of baked beans, and what ever is donated.
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Where will you be at Luke.??

Mr. Ben the plans have adjusted slightly. We are cooking for the folks at the MOTEL 6 on HWY. 146 about 1/2 mile north of I-10. The motel is on the West side of HWY. 146. We talked to them today. The manager at the desk said they have 4 families that have ran out of money for the room as of today. The hotel is helping them out by allowing them to stay free, but these folks also do not have the money for food. The hotel is really excited to have us coming.
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Luke,

Could you possibly post a list of items that you guys could use some help with. Paperware, hamburger buns, hotdogs, canned food, drinks, and we could possibly select a location where folks can meet or drop off the items for you to use for the meals.... God bless you guys for helping those in need in times like these. You guys are truly the lords shepherds.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar
    Good job, Luke.

Luke man ,Put me down for $100.0 you guys have really took on a big job and that's the least that I can do on behalf of Fishingtx.com...

Mr. Ben I have you for $100.00.

Crappie Tracker I hope all is okay with your brothers personal damage.

Call me on my cell phone. We will be cooking on Friday. We will begin to cook around 1400 at Eric Johnson's in Mont Belvieu. After the food is done we will put it all in pans and back on the pit to keep warm. It is only a couple of miles from Johnson's house to the hotel. We are set up to serve the food for 200+ people at the motel 6 on HWY. 146 north of I-10.
    Yesterday Johnson and myself helped out a lady in need for food for her 4 month old baby. There were several people really excited about what we are doing for them. Eric and I are going this morning to get the rest of the food for the cook. We are accepting donations (time, money, gift cards to wal-mart for $10-$20 each). Any extra money we recieve over the cost of food will go towards helping some of the people in need. Eric and myself have worked out an agreement with a couple of the very caring people at the Motel 6 service counter. They will contact us if they here of some people in bad need of help.
    One good thing the Motel 6 is doing is allowing people that have run out of money to stay at this time. There has also been a cap of $20 dollars put on room rate.
    My cell phone number is 832-217-9944.
    The things these folks need most is the things we take for granted (food, clothes (your clothes that do not fit any longer may make some else day), tooth paste, soap, towel, sheets, blanket, pillows, baby formula, diapers, wipes, ect....

Thanks for everyones support,
    Luke Reed

Thanks Luke I will call u after a while!!!
    GB

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    We have quite a few refugess in Tyler in both hotels and shelters. The local radio statons ahs set up numersous sites for cash donations to both the shelters and to the Red Cross. I went by to drop off a donation this morning and was pleased to find a lot of local residents doing the same.

Later this morning, I was in Lowe's. Lowe's had signs at the check-out stands saying that they would match any contributions made to the disaster fund. You can add the donation to you bill as you check-out. This is a good way to effectively double the amount of your donation.

Help where we can !! :multi: :multi: