Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jones who?

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme

jones who?

going to try jones lake (west bay) tomorrow morning. just waiting for this winter hole to light up. if anybody is interested in fishing this area, be careful of extremely shallow reefs. also a bit of good news is that the baycliff spillway is being used after being not used last winter. if the sprayers are working then warm water is being pumped out. as winter closes in and the water temp drops, look for this spot to come alive. this spot can be fished from the bank. it also has a park, restrooms, playground and bait close by.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Thanks minner may try that this winter,,

Senior Member FishingTX Skilled Angler
    IS THE FISHING PAIR STILL THERE I HAVE NOT FISHED THERE IN ABOUT 9YRS. BUT WHEN I DID THE END OF OCT. WAS GOOD FOR REDS

the pier is still there. did you fish the spillway side or the other side of the pier? i like to fish farther down at 18th pier. wanted to go today after work but this N wind has drained and muddied the bay. any news on some flounder landings? should be getting close.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    I fished the spillway several yrs. back when it was up. It seemed like every cast I would hang up on something. A good sign it up again. I wish they would crank up baytowns now! minner you been getting any flounder down your way? they are staging at the end of the river geting ready to run your way. So if you aren't ready you need to get ready.
    The fish are in the water!

send them hungry flatties on down here. i got a little something for them. a stiff rod, braided line and a sharp hook. if that cant keep'em from getting off next to the boat then well i'll just have to get a bigger net. Are there any restrictions on the size of landing nets? thanks for the heads up and i'll shout if i get into 'em.

medulla762
    Use a large net and put a marker on the line or you could use the swivel if you use a very long leader and net them suckers before you even see them while they are still a couple feet under water...hehehe...

well didnt light the bay on fire but did manage to boat dinner. next week will be better, i just know it. been believeing that for years.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    yepper! next trip will always be better ,,,,,,,,right!
    The fish are in the water!

the bay was super low. we had jones all to ourselves since some spots were only a few inches deep. a jon boat and a push pole is almost unstoppable. a few nice reds and trout were yanked in over the side. just one flounder away from a slam and i hooked one. as always the flat sucker let go just before my trusty net could scoop it up. the water was really clear around the exposed reefs. there were lots of sheepheads around the edges of reefs and some were showing their backs and fins above the water. watched a unfortunate fellow ram his boat on and through a reef. mucho repair work will be needed. hope he'll remember not to run wide open in jones on a low tide.