Thread: saltwater bluecat challenge?

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme

saltwater bluecat challenge?

upon the arrival of my latest tf&w mag, i read about bluecats in the brine. the record books even have a spot for blue cats caught in saltwater. 42.78 lbs is the current record. i have a few salty bluecat holes in the bay. any chance of a saltwater challenge to rewrite the record books? jugs arent legal in saltwater.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    I'm out won't pay the salt water stamp!!

dpiper
    Hey minner what time of year would you fish the brine for blues? Also, what entices a blue to head to the saltwater? Is there any writings on the type of fishing? What about bait, shad? Blacksalties? ???

Sorry for all the questions but this is new to me.

saundecw
    We ususally catch quite a few high fin blues in East Bay this time of the year. They run the shoreline at the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge chasing bait just like the redfish. I normally set up rods on the shoreline at night and put up a light or two. They will hit live finger mullet or mud minnows. I have never set up just to catch blues but I may give some beef heart a try if I get a chance to go.

the baits which Ive had the most luck is cut mullet and black salties. i like to fish for them in the winter. usually after a big rain and cold front moving through. not sure what attracts them except maybe food. ive never boated one that had an empty stomach. there are a few spots that i know from the shoreline. ive never hooked a small one. all the biggest fish seem to head to the salt. i will be the first contributor to the GB saltwater tag fundraiser.

Catfish Jac
    Hey GB, with the saltwater stamp you can catch blue crabs at Anahuac, as long as you avoid the gators.

JAC

the texas fish and game magazine has a write-up on this subject this month. I have a spot inwhich ive nailed blues, flounder and trout on the same morning. the colder the better.

dpiper
    That's cool minner.

Brainstorm:
    A cold front comes in pushes the saltwater out of the bays, thereby freshing it up a little. The specs and reds head for the deeper waters such as guts and channels. The baitfish head for the guts and holes near the shore. Blues come down out of the rivers into the Galvestion esturary, which is now not as salty. I've always heard that after a strong cold front pushes through the fishing drops off for about three days. I guess they're not fishing for blues.

Sounds like fun. I may need to get me a saltwater stamp.

Thanks, minner.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, maybe a honey hole full of cats most people are not going after.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

many folks drive right past them to and from work every day and never would think thats there a holes right there. the others that know like to fish for saltwater species. you will probly be the only person fishing there most of the time. not sure of the potential health hazards of fish from clear lake. anybody that knows this info or where to get it would be appreciated. so when it cools off and you get an itch to try your luck in the salt, just give me a holler and i'll meet you at the boat ramp.