Thread: what ever

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme

what ever "Texas Prison Rodeo"

whatever happened to the Texas Prison Rodeo in Huntsville? use to go there as a kid and never knew what happened to it.

Junior Member Hooked on FishingTX
    i suspect lawers got involved

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    The Texas Prison known as "The Wildest Show Behind Bars," entertained thousands of spectators from 1931 to 1986. It was, rather, a rare chance for prisoners to watch spectators on every Sunday in October. When the 55-year tradition ended in 1986, primarily due to the deterioration of the old rodeo arena, the chance was gone forever.

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    watching someone ride a raging bull for cigarettes was some great entertainment. i was told that if a prisoner was involved in any mishaps during the rest of the year, they would not be able to attend. this sounds like a way of reducing problems. come to think of it, the stadium was pretty old. i remember all the law enforcement that would roam the area. we are not talking about 9mm pistols here. they would carry some serious firepower. it was a sight to see. loved every minute of it. i wanted to take my kids to the TPR but its long gone. thanks for the history lesson GB, i never knew it was running for so many years.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Gregory Crabtree PBR rodeo bullfighter dies last month fought bulls on national tv a long time , got killed by a bull-dozer . He lived in Flatonai. he was the tall guy with the basball cap.

The prison rodeo arena last time i saw it was very delapidated and my have even been removed by now ..