Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your help with fishfinders, guys!

Question Need your help with fishfinders, guys!

Hello, everyone! I'm a freshman here and want to ask you about fishfinders. What is the best one? I'm not a fisher, just want to buy for my husband as a gift. Which one would you recommend? Or may be some good reviews or shops? Thank in advance for help!

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Bobo, I can't claim to be the expert on this but there are a few guys and gals here that can give you great advice on this but I'll bet a little more detail would help them.
    What kind of fishing does your husband do? Lake, river, bay etc...
    What kind of fish does he normally target? Crappie, bass, trout, catfish etc...
    I'm still rockin the Cuda 300 on my flatbottom. I'm lucky if that piece of junk gives me an accurate depth so I will be watching this thread as well.
    Oh yeah, Welcome aboard!
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Senior Member FishingTX Skilled Angler ChaWhitney's Avatar
    In addition to Dan's questions, I have a couple:

What is your budget? (No need suggesting a $3000 unit if your budget is only $500)
    What type of boat? Kayak, jon boat, bass boat, pontoon, etc
    Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    I have a little and do mean little experience with some fishfinders. Some are more complicated to learn and yes some are easier. I have found that Lowrance are more technical and harder to learn but once you do they are good. I believe the Hummingbird fishfinders are easier to use and produce a good reading also. Good luck and keep us posted. And Oh Yeah, welcome aboard.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Senior Member Master in FishingTX KingTut's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7H6hZ5VGGw This is the one I'd get today to replace my Garmin 540S. It's the latest technology and allows you options to see objects below like never before. Shop around as the prices can differ from one vendor to another, but "Down Scan Imaging" is what I'd prefer. And can i add too, he's a lucky man indeed!

Attachment 39163
    "Old Guys Rule"

Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler gregory305's Avatar
    Humminbird also make a inexpensive series called "Helix" like Lowrance's "Hook" series. A lot of the features of the more expensive unit at a more affordable price point. They have there limitations though, so it all depends on whats best for his use.
    There's always a bigger fish!

mikechell
    I have had and used several depth finders in my life. I always seem to fall back on just one aspect ... depth. All the other options become less and less important while I am fishing. Find the right depth and fish it ...

So, this $70 dollar set up will do just fine.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin...FZI9gQod4HYJMg

I saw that Deeper fish finder is a nice setup, especially for smaller boaters like those of kayaks. Its a bluetooth app and finder that goes to depths of 150ft with icons for different objects

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Yeap any ole feesh finder WILL work but if'n I can afford SI units I'm for sure gonna get them.....They cut down on the time it takes to learn any lake by 99%.......

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    I've had Lowrance and they are some of the best but I will never buy another one just to expensive and not good at customer service. Humminbird make a great user friendly one but my next one will be a Garmin. The reason is my friend has one and it works great, a little harder to learn than the Humminbird but he feels it is better and reasonable priced.
    I will be selling a Humminbird 1199 in the next few weeks.
    I'm far from an expert on this matter and just base it on my limited first hand experience of nearly 30 years.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com