Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping Matagorda

Senior Member Master in FishingTX GILBERT G's Avatar
    Ok we got back yesterday evening and I most say that camp ground was a very nice facility its Matagorda RV & Nature Center I recommend it to anyone we only fished of the park pier I didn't put the boat in the water it was very windy with strong gusting winds but if you loke camping look this place up
    God Be With You

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Good you made it back safe Gil.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Northcrest Ranch, SE Montgomery County, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by GILBERT G View Post
    Ok we got back yesterday evening and I most say that camp ground was a very nice facility its Matagorda RV & Nature Center I recommend it to anyone we only fished of the park pier I didn't put the boat in the water it was very windy with strong gusting winds but if you loke camping look this place up
    My wife and I went to Matagorda Bay Nature Park for a few days in June and stayed in our travel trailer. We also fished only on the pier and didn't have much luck with the recommended fresh dead shrimp and frozen squid from the local bait shop. We really only managed to feed the crabs other than my wife catching a small croaker and a small whiting on real bait. The last morning before we packed up and left she caught a nice flounder (about 18") on a D.O.A. shrimp fished along the bottom. Made some nice filets to take home with us. The few fish we saw caught were almost all small throwbacks other than a couple good size flounder we saw landed one night. We didn't fish the surf and it didn't look like any of those that did were having much luck as the winds were fairly strong and the water was fairly dirty and turbulent.

If you go and fish the piers or from the bank along the river channel, it would be a good idea to have some spider weights like used for surf fishing. The current is so strong that even a large pyramid type sinker gets swept along upstream or downstream depending on the tide.

I will echo Gilbert's comments, this is a really nice little RV park and Nature Center operated by the LCRA. There are two lighted fishing piers on the property along the old Colorado River channel. There is another public pier that goes out next to one of the jetties but not very far into the gulf. If you go to this park to camp whether in a tent or an RV, be sure to take an EZ Up or similar canopy with you as there is NO SHADE other than a miniscule amount under some of the palm trees. The employees we interacted with were friendly and helpful and they stayed busy making sure everything was in good condition. We definitely plan on going back.

You can drive onto the beach but need a pass ($10 for the season) which you can pick up at Stanley's in Matagorda before crossing the causeway or at Rawlings Bait Camp closer to the park.

Here's the park website: http://www.lcra.org/parks/developed-...ture-park.aspx

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Thanks for post and info Stevereno
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vett0111 View Post
    Thanks for post and info Stevereno
    X2. You and Gil. I've been wanting to get back out there for a ,long time.
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Northcrest Ranch, SE Montgomery County, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_wrider View Post
    X2. You and Gil. I've been wanting to get back out there for a ,long time.
    I'm ready to go back but it's about 2 1/2 hour drive from my house so it pretty much needs to be an overnight stay. Planning to go back in Sept with some family members.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX GILBERT G's Avatar
    We're going back Oct 22 weekend
    God Be With You