Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Captain Needed For Magnolia High School

Junior Member Hooked on FishingTX

Boat Captain Needed For Magnolia High School

Need a boat captain to take two high school kids out for a tournament on Lake Livingston on Saturday, October, 1st. Text or call 832-767-8890 for more details. Email is [email protected]

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Lou The Fisherman's Avatar
    C130TN How about providing more info - intel about what and why you are requesting this?
    When is the best time to go fishing? Whenever you can go. Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou The Fisherman View Post
    C130TN How about providing more info - intel about what and why you are requesting this?
    Thanks, my son and I started up a fishing club at Magnolia High School this year. Most every high school around already had a fishing club so my son wanted to start one last year when he was a freshman but we got started too late.

So, we have it up and running now and currently have 13 students that have joined. Three students don't have a boat to fish out of so I am doing whatever I can to find these kids someone to take them out to the tournaments. There are five total tournaments with the first being Saturday, October 1st on Lake Livingston. You can do one tournament or all five, right now I'm just trying to cover the first tournament.

Requirements are a boat at least 16 feet long, working live well, 300,000 liability insurance, background check by the school, and the standard Texas boating requirements. You just take two high students out to fish the tournament. I'm gong to be a boat captain myself and it's my first year doing it. Lots of info at http://www.texashighschoolbassassn.com

We are in the Houston Division. First tournament is Lake Livingston on October 1st, 2nd at Sommerville on October 29th, next two are on Lake Conroe in December and February, then Lake Houston in March I believe.
    Last edited by C130TN; 09-16-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Lou The Fisherman's Avatar
    That sounds great C130. My little Jon Boat is only 15 ft so i can't do it.
    But lots of folks read this board so maybe someone will jump in that has a larger boat and likes to help kids in some capacity.

Thanks for your efforts.
    When is the best time to go fishing? Whenever you can go. Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou The Fisherman View Post
    That sounds great C130. My little Jon Boat is only 15 ft so i can't do it.
    But lots of folks read this board so maybe someone will jump in that has a larger boat and likes to help kids in some capacity.

Thanks for your efforts.
    Thanks, I'm excited for our first tournament and glad to do it. My wife is really helping with the paperwork and other duties. It's been a lot of work but well worth it I think. There's always that one parent that thinks their kid is special and they are too busy to turn anything in on time. So, they are getting to do their own paperwork and get the required signatures by themselves this weekend.

I'm very picky and strict about being on time. I made it very clear at the beginning that things will be turned in on time, kids will be respectful, and they had better be very respectful to their boat captains and their boats. It's appears that we have a great group of kids and I have one kid in particular that I am determined to get a boat captain for.
    Last edited by C130TN; 09-17-2016 at 09:50 AM.

mikechell
    1) You say this is a school club ... sanctioned by the school? If so, it is the school's responsibility to provide insurance, not the boaters involved.
    2) If this is, indeed, a school club started by your son, why are you and your wife doing all the work?
    3) There are many places around Houston to fish from the bank. Why are you planning bass fishing trips that require boats?

Sorry ... I shouldn't even comment, since I don't live in the area, but I had questions that were itching inside my head. I have a few more, but they're less ... cordial ... so I won't bring them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    1) You say this is a school club ... sanctioned by the school? If so, it is the school's responsibility to provide insurance, not the boaters involved.
    2) If this is, indeed, a school club started by your son, why are you and your wife doing all the work?
    3) There are many places around Houston to fish from the bank. Why are you planning bass fishing trips that require boats?

Sorry ... I shouldn't even comment, since I don't live in the area, but I had questions that were itching inside my head. I have a few more, but they're less ... cordial ... so I won't bring them up.
    First, I didn't ask your opinion.

It's an after school club, you can research the definition of that if you choose.

My wife and I are doing the work because I choose to do something for our youth and I'm volunteering. You, on the other hand, appear to be all about yourself. You should be proud.

Now, your feelings are probably hurt so go cry to the moderator.
    Last edited by C130TN; 09-17-2016 at 10:01 PM.

mikechell
    Nope, no hurt feelings. And I apologize for obviously hurting yours.

I was genuinely curious about the situation. Wondering about the school's participation was generated by, "... background check by the school ..."

As far as asking for opinions ... that's what public forums are all about.

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C130TN View Post
    First, I didn't ask your opinion, second my phone number is 832-767-8890 if you have anything else to say.

It's an after school club, you can research the definition of that if you choose.

My wife and I are doing the work because I choose to do something for our youth and I'm volunteering. You, on the other hand, appear to be all about yourself. You should be proud.

Now, your feelings are probably hurt so go cry to the moderator.
    Lol. Good luck getting the kids out there and putting them on some fish. I think if we'd have had a fishing club, perhaps I'd have had a little more interest in school.
    My boat is 18ft but the live well does not work. Most any fish that is going to stay in my boat hits the ice lol.
    Again, best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    Oh, on a side note, any time you post a phone # online, it's best to do it in this form- 8three-two73four etc.. This way the bots don't pick up on your phone #. At least that's what I've heard.
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Quote Originally Posted by dan_wrider View Post
    Lol. Good luck getting the kids out there and putting them on some fish. I think if we'd have had a fishing club, perhaps I'd have had a little more interest in school.
    My boat is 18ft but the live well does not work. Most any fish that is going to stay in my boat hits the ice lol.
    Again, best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    Oh, on a side note, any time you post a phone # online, it's best to do it in this form- 8three-two73four etc.. This way the bots don't pick up on your phone #. At least that's what I've heard.
    Thank you, appreciate it! Unfortunately, my son is stuck with me (I'm not good at fishing) and he thought about ditching me with one boat captain I found. I have one gentleman that volunteered that is going to be great. He's a great fisherman, great boat, and he's excited to do it. I don't know the lakes around here at all but I plan on having fun and hope the kids do also. I'm very competitive by nature but definitely not too good at fishing. My son is much better so I'm blaming it all on him if he and his partner don't do well!

I did talk one guy in to being a boat captain for the first tournament. We have 13 students right now so one without a boat captain or a partner. I'm willing to offset his half of the tournament fees if I have to, assuming we find a boat captain for him. I'm hoping we can find him a partner.