Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456813 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing a la Mike Chell

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Looks like fun.....
    A couple of those beam were really lite up......

mikechell
    Thank you, SK.

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Looks like an awful peaceful place you got into to perch jerk there. You see many gators out there?
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

mikechell
    On the sloughs and side channels, it can be wonderfully quiet. There's such a variety of habitat on most rivers, and this one is no exception.

There are 'gators everywhere. Generally, on warm days, you'll see them about every 50 to 100 yards. If there's a lot of boat traffic, you see fewer, since they go into the pads. I see a lot. Since I use the paddle to scull my boat, I make very little noise. I surprise sunning 'gators around most corners. That's why I know they are generally harmless to people. When they decide I am too close, they make a huge commotion diving into the water and showing up 20 yards or more away.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Thanks for the videos.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    On the sloughs and side channels, it can be wonderfully quiet. There's such a variety of habitat on most rivers, and this one is no exception.

There are 'gators everywhere. Generally, on warm days, you'll see them about every 50 to 100 yards. If there's a lot of boat traffic, you see fewer, since they go into the pads. I see a lot. Since I use the paddle to scull my boat, I make very little noise. I surprise sunning 'gators around most corners. That's why I know they are generally harmless to people. When they decide I am too close, they make a huge commotion diving into the water and showing up 20 yards or more away.
    You ever thought about fishing for one? Or caught one on accident?

mikechell
    I catch the odd young one, when I am fishing top water and they get to it before I can jerk it away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1429453161605.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	39899

Largest one I've had hooked, was about 8 feet long. It actually bit on a 2 inch blade bait and I had 20# test braid. I was fighting something BIG long enough to have two boats stop and watch. My arms were hurting when it finally started coming up, I was expecting a large salt water fish ... then this large 'gator surfaced about 20 feet from me. My lure was in the corner of it's mouth.
    When I reached for my camera, it thrashed and dove for the center of the river. Snapped my line on that run.

I catch the odd young one, when I am fishing top water and they get to it before I can jerk it away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1429453161605.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	39899

Largest one I've had hooked, was about 8 feet long. It actually bit on a 2 inch blade bait and I had 20# test braid. I was fighting something BIG long enough to have two boats stop and watch. My arms were hurting when it finally started coming up, I was expecting a large salt water fish ... then this large 'gator surfaced about 20 feet from me. My lure was in the corner of it's mouth.
    When I reached for my camera, it thrashed and dove for the center of the river. Snapped my line on that run.
    That is very cool. I'm not much of a hunter anymore. In fact I haven't shot an animal that wasn't suffering in probably 20 years but I think I'd like to fish for gators someday. Plus I absolutely love the meat.
    There doesn't happen to be one of your videos of the gator being caught, does there?

mikechell
    No, Dan, no videos of 'gators on a hook. It'll probably happen sometime, but the last time I hooked one was before I got the GoPro.

Here's today's trip. I got a 6 to 8 pound Bowfin today.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    No, Dan, no videos of 'gators on a hook. It'll probably happen sometime, but the last time I hooked one was before I got the GoPro.

Here's today's trip. I got a 6 to 8 pound Bowfin today.

Man that bowfin had to be blast to on a fly rod. Do you catch many of them?
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508