Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7121415161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing a la Mike Chell

mikechell
    Yep ... and that's exactly the news I was hoping for.
    I was afraid the high water flows and flooding would wash out ALL those places.

Thanks, Vett.

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Holler back when those dates get closer.....I ain't that organized to set up a trip that far out but would like to get you a few thumps from them thar crappie.... if you're up for that challenge.....
    ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....
    PFD's SAVES LIVES.....WEAR IT.....

mikechell
    That is one challenge I've been looking forward to since we had to cancel last year, SK.

We're on, whenever you can go.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    I would really enjoy seeing a video of y'all's trip.
    It's knowin' that your door is always open sideways and your path is free to walk......

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    you know you will !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthensMike View Post
    I would really enjoy seeing a video of y'all's trip.

mikechell
    Got to do a little fishing today. Most of the boat ramps on the St. Johns River are closed, due to the excessively high water levels. So I hit a small lake near me ... Lake Talmadge. Every time I fish here, I catch some fish ... but they are not plentiful.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    This same area that has been in drought conditions ?

Thanks for video
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

mikechell
    Yes, Vett, this is the area that was in serious drought conditions just a month ago. This year, and Hurricane Irma, relieved conditions significantly. Most of the ponds and small lakes that were low are now nearly at full pool. The places that were dry have water.
    But, none of them are "full". And Lake Talmadge (where I fished) dropped back down more then 6 inches in just the last week. We're still in the grip of a two decade drought.
    It takes 12 inches of rain to replenish 1 inch to the aquifer. The aquifer is estimated at almost 14 inches below normal. So, we need over 120 inches of water to even get close to full in the aquifer. Our normal average rainfall is 50 to 100 inches a year. Up until this year, We've been getting less than 20 since the mid 1990's.

The St. Johns River is immediately affected by rain run off from a HUGE drainage area. It doesn't accurately reflect drought conditions.

But I am encouraged. Fishing is STILL great in Central Florida !!!

mikechell
    SK ... I AM looking forward to going fishing with you. I am tying up some flies for my trips to the creeks after work ... but I have a question for you.

What do I need to bring with me when we go fishing? I'll have my regular travel stuff. Anything I should tie up?

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    Those waters you feesh always look so peaceful....

Mike we'll mostly be vertical jigging, I have extra rods & minnas.....LOL.....No minnas will be required......I have & plenty of jigs..... just bring your type of drink & snacks....
    ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....
    PFD's SAVES LIVES.....WEAR IT.....