Thread: Texas City Dike

Junior Member Hooked on FishingTX

Texas City Dike

Whenever the water warms just a little bit more and the wind calms down, I'd like to take my yak to the deep side of Mosquito Island. Any advice?

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Have not fished out there, Ken. I'm curious how you do though. Please let us know..
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

A guy told me today that he's caught good trout in May, June and July at the north end of Mosquito Island.
    Hope I can get down there soon so I can report.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Good luck out there. Never been there myself. Keep us posted.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Spyder Man Master in FishingTX Dutch's Avatar
    Be very careful out there. A ship channel runs along the west side of the dike, and when the big ships come in or out along the dike, they push a bow wake that is about 6 feet high.

Yeah, Dutch, I've heard about what the channel can do to the water in there. After the water is pushed in there, it's sucked back out. That's when a lot of the drownings have happened. I can't help but think about me and the yak "heading out to sea". lol

Finally made it out to the dike last week. Met up with another kayaker who is 100% disabled due to Nam. I wasn't very impressed with it. Due to the ship traffic, a few miles away, the currents were steady changing. Nailed a small trout and a rat red - plus a little eel. For some reason, my depth finder wouldn't work and I couldn't find the deep hole on the west side of the reef that everyone warns waders about. Depth finder worked fine in the back yard after I got home. Go figure.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenK1944 View Post
    Finally made it out to the dike last week. Met up with another kayaker who is 100% disabled due to Nam. I wasn't very impressed with it. Due to the ship traffic, a few miles away, the currents were steady changing. Nailed a small trout and a rat red - plus a little eel. For some reason, my depth finder wouldn't work and I couldn't find the deep hole on the west side of the reef that everyone warns waders about. Depth finder worked fine in the back yard after I got home. Go figure.
    Thanks for the info.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    years back I use to frequent those waters.... mosquito island & dollar reef have feed me a time were two... excellent trout, red feesh, sheepies & puppy drum....live shrimp under a popping cork works great in that area.... like Dutch said be careful of the ship wakes.....
    ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....
    PFD's SAVES LIVES.....WEAR IT.....