Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar

Perch

Every evening I walk down on our small dock and feed the perch a handful of meal worms. As soon as I walk out they come to the surface. There are some really nice ones. Easy and fun to catch.
    Should I be doing this? I feel like I'm cheating.

mikechell
    First: You're a speaking of the Texan version of perch ... Sunfish (Bluegill, Red Ear, Pumpkinseed, etc.), right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0006.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	40393

Not the true version of Perch.

Name:	yellowperch.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	40392

Actually, it doesn't matter. They're on your property, you can do what ever you want. As far as cheating ... of course it's cheating, but so is hunting a baited field. Doesn't really make it a bad thing.
    Those fish, Sunfish OR Perch, are great eating. They are also prolific breeders, so keeping some is recommended, and enjoyable.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    DEER hunters bait up deer and then they shoot them no differnce we would take road kill in the old days nd hang it over water and make tyhe road kill a favorite place fro catching perch ,,,,,,,, perfectly legal'' if it bothers you let me know where your dock is and i'll come catch them
    Last edited by Gentleben; 04-15-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Mikechell. That's them. Next week I'll get me a good filet knife. Need to start taking some out before my wife gives them names.
    Ben. It doesn't bother me at all to take em'. I use them for bait with a cork when it gets slow. I hooked a really, really nice bass using this method. She broke me off at the dock.

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Lou will chime in in a moment I'm sure. Those hand sized perch are one of his favorites. Been a while since I fried any up. If you pull a few out get a pic and share it with us if you would.
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Dan. My favorite fish to eat. My buddy could filet a basket of them in a half hour. I am not that good with the knife but I don't have a good one. I butchered a few good ones that ended up garden fertilizer.
    How the heck do you post pics?

mikechell
    This is how you attach a picture. Click on the "picture" icon above.

Name:	post 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	40397

This box appears ... if it doesn't look like the box below, click on the "computer" tab.

Name:	post 2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	40398
    Then click on the "Select files" button

Find the picture (or pictures) and click on it. Double click if you're only picking one.

Name:	post 4.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	40399
    You can select more than one, but it's a little hard to keep track, because of the name change.

Once you select the picture, you'll need to click on the "upload" button.

Name:	post 5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	40400

Where ever your cursor is, that's where your picture will show up. But it won't be a "picture" until you post your reply.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post 6.jpg 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	40401

Name:	Ocala rattler.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	40396

Thanx for info Mike.
    The snake in the photo is actually very similar to what I have seen here. Geez, there is a pond twice the size as ours directly behind us. No one hardly ever fishes it. I wish they would go back there and leave us alone. Or I could simply make a sign that says "no snakes".
    Thanx again.

mikechell
    That snake is an Eastern Diamondback Rattler ... you have Western Diamondback Rattlers in Texas. If you can see the tail, is quite obvious. Taper to a point, not a rattler ... blunt end, even if you can't see the rattles, rattler. Don't wait for the rattle, the snakes don't always "give warning".

We used to make weekend trips to my uncles place in SE Oklahoma. 40 acres in the sticks. Absolutely beautiful. One of the neighbors who would come by to check in told us something that scared me. He said "boys, the rattlers quit rattling on count of the hogs". Natural defense mechanism I guess. A rattlesnake that don't rattle. Was always taught to just follow my steps directly backward when the rattlin starts.
    Rattlers in the water. Rattlers that don't rattle. If it ain't a rat snake or a king snake I gotta kill em.