Thread: Cottonmouths

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar

Cottonmouths

Mornin' folks.
    Let me start by saying I hate snakes.
    This morning I walked out to the pond to make a few mandatory casts before starting my chores. I saw a 4, maybe 5 footer crossing to the back. About a half hour later, I was going to walk out on the dock when I saw a smaller one exiting the vegetation by the bank. Usually I see them in the evening crossing from the back to the dock side of the pond. We have a million frogs here. Definite feeding pattern. I shot one about a month ago with a .40 cal loaded with shell shot at dusk.
    My dilema. Folks, we are outside city limits. Gunshots are very common. I have a neighbor fairly close that I have yet to meet. I have a few "tools" that are more than capable of handling the snake issue. I mounted a tactical flashlight on the 870 express for just this reason. But I don't want to come across as a Rambo type. I bought a good pellet gun for this reason and sighted it in.
    I want to introduce myself to the neighbors but they have 2 big dogs. Plus, I don't like bugging people. I got lazy and stopped carrying my pistol when I fish. Had I had it this morning, the small one by the dock would be turtle food now.
    Any advice is appreciated.

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Blast away if you're in the country. Meeting neighbors is on the bottom of my list.... All I got...
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

mikechell
    Coming from the opposite side ... I like snakes.
    There are a couple of other snakes that look similar to Moccasins. If they ARE Moccasins, then you should shoot them. If your neighbor has ponds, or is near enough to yours, then he's probably shot a few himself.
    BUT, if they aren't poisonous Cottonmouths, then they should be left alone. Snakes in an area means there's probably a large population of rodents. Killing off the snakes will allow the rodent population to explode.

A white chin and belly do not indicate a Cotton Mouth. Only when they open they're mouths do you have positive identification. No, I don't expect you to wait until they open their mouths at you. But I would ask you to be sure of the species before you kill them off.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    Mike. Both snakes I saw this morning were identical but varied in size. Niether opened their mouths and I didn't get a good look at the shape of the head. Dark brown backs and a maroonish color diamond pattern on the backs. If they aren't poisonous, I will leave them be. I tend to think more like Dan.
    I appreciate the advice. My wife still walks out to fish in flip flops. She has boots. I want to avoid a I told you so situation. You understand.
    If I could figure out how to post pics I would send you one. If it helps to identify. A similar snake watched me pull some brush out by the bank. It was unfazed with the noise and movement. Again, I didn't have my pistol.
    Help me out Mike. I won't shoot them if they are "good" snakes. Yes. We have lots of mice.

mikechell
    If you can post pictures, I can help.
    But you can also go to sites like this ...
    http://www.texassnakes.net/pictures.html

And see if you can identify them. Most water snakes will get darker as they grow to full size. Diamondback Rattlers also live in your area. Trust me, to protect family and pets, I have no problem with killing poisonous snakes. And if you're unsure ... you won't make them "endangered" if you kill all the snakes in your yard.

But, if you can identify them, then don't kill the good ones. And if you find out you have some King Snakes in your yard ... be sure to keep them. They will kill and eat Rattlers and Moccasins.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    I grew up in the country in south texas where there was many snakes mostly King and rattlers we used hoe handles shovels rocks and many other primitive tools. if it crawled or slithered it died..A water moccosin bite is very very serious .. at my new retiremen thome are quiet a few corral and copperhead snakes, i see them they die i carry a 22 ruger loadd with rat shot/ shotshells on my side religiously becasue i am too lazy to go hunt something to kill them..
    Soooooo my advice is them all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	40402
    Last edited by Gentleben; 04-15-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    Oh yes, a King or balck/green racer along grass snakes are safe. Rat snakes/chicken, copper heads, water cotton mouth snakes along with most others are good as dead. Sorry thats how I roll, and I was also raised in the country and have been a snake eradicator for nearly 70 years and have no plans of changing.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    If you can post pictures, I can help.
    But you can also go to sites like this ...
    http://www.texassnakes.net/pictures.html

And see if you can identify them. Most water snakes will get darker as they grow to full size. Diamondback Rattlers also live in your area. Trust me, to protect family and pets, I have no problem with killing poisonous snakes. And if you're unsure ... you won't make them "endangered" if you kill all the snakes in your yard.

But, if you can identify them, then don't kill the good ones. And if you find out you have some King Snakes in your yard ... be sure to keep them. They will kill and eat Rattlers and Moccasins.
    Good link Mike.

Poisonous snakes around house get eradicated. Safe snakes get a pass. They Get moved to another area.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    All snakes get removed from round my house.....usually in a couple aaahhh pieces...each that is....LOL

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    All snakes get removed from round my house.....usually in a couple aaahhh pieces...each that is....LOL
    Lol.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508