Thread: Athens Tx Fishery

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar

Athens Tx Fishery

We checked this place out this morning. 11 bucks for the two of us. People were very friendly. Very educational. If you have kiddos that like to fish, they will definitely dig it. We went for the dive show. Diver hand fed fish whilst explaining each fish and characteristics. "Big Blue" was a born entertainer.
    If anyone is ever out this way, it's worth it to visit. No, I don't work there. We will definitely go back.

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    I looked that place up online after you mentioned it. I figured it would be worth the trip. Looked pretty cool.
    Have you had your fish dinner from the pond at home yet?
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Dan, this place was very kid friendly. Kinda like a mini Sea World for fresh water fish. Again, very educational. Glad you took a minute to check it out on the intranet.
    My wife took a video of the diver feeding the fish. Maybe I can put it on here somehow. The big cat and the huge bass were eyeing the diver much the same way my dogs eye my wife when she cooks dinner. Waiting for a snack.

Dan, yep I have 2 good bass filet dinners and I smoked some of the bluegill. Both were great. But, next time the blue gill are going in the frying pan.
    If anyone here has some bluegill cooking tips, I will try them. My yard and garden are full of worms and I can catch a dozen of these little fighters in about 20 min.

mikechell
    Fillet them, no matter how small. The little bite sized fillets are MUCH more enjoyable, to me, than picking out all the bones as I eat.

Walmart, "Drake's Fry Mix" is a great coating. It's a little expensive, but it goes a long way.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drake-s-C...&wl13=&veh=sem

Grandma and Grandpa used to swear by "Pea Meal" ... and I always did LOVE the fried fish at their house. But I don't know where to buy pea meal.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AthensMike View Post
    We checked this place out this morning. 11 bucks for the two of us. People were very friendly. Very educational. If you have kiddos that like to fish, they will definitely dig it. We went for the dive show. Diver hand fed fish whilst explaining each fish and characteristics. "Big Blue" was a born entertainer.
    If anyone is ever out this way, it's worth it to visit. No, I don't work there. We will definitely go back.
    Sounds like a nice place. I'm sure the kiddos liked it. Even the big kiddos. Haha
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    Fillet them, no matter how small. The little bite sized fillets are MUCH more enjoyable, to me, than picking out all the bones as I eat.

Walmart, "Drake's Fry Mix" is a great coating. It's a little expensive, but it goes a long way.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Drake-s-C...&wl13=&veh=sem

Grandma and Grandpa used to swear by "Pea Meal" ... and I always did LOVE the fried fish at their house. But I don't know where to buy pea meal.
    Never heard of pea meal. From what I saw it is ground yellow peas. Amazon sells dried yellow peas. I'm sure you can put them in a food processor and make your own meal/flour out of them.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

mikechell
    LOL Vett ... that sounds like more work than I'm willing to put into it. Drake's Mix is more my style these days.

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    The TPWD fishery at Athens is a great place to visit. Plan on spending a full day in order to see it all. I promise you will learn a great deal and see things you have never experienced. I've been many times and in the event I'm near with some spare time I will visit it again.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com