Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bull Reds

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar

Big Bull Reds

Well it's my favorite time of year. Hunting season and big bull red season. Woohoo did someone say Big Bull Red season???? It's on like Donkey Kong.

I have been working like crazy and haven't had time to do much hunting or fishing. Well today I got to get out and wet a line. We had planned on others making trip with us. They couldn't make it. So Mark and I still decided to try our luck at the ole Big Bull Reds.

I met him at boat dock and he already stopped and got bait. I jumped in his truck and backed him into boat ramp. He motored around till I parked truck and jumped in to head out fishing. We tried a couple spots and caught small trout and rat reds. He hooked up a big gaftop and I said it's time to move. Haha

We moved to area I said we needed to go when we got there. I was feminine for a Big Bull Red. Well I threw out anchor and was getting ready to chunk a big ole croaker out. Before I could do that my buddy had his already in water and was setting up his second rod. I told him look up cause your rod is bent over. He looked up and saw his rod was doubled over. He set hook and fish on. I let him reel his in. If was to cast out with the way the current goes through there we would get all tangled up as he is fighting the fish.

Get his fish in and got a pic. I went back and cast my bait out. As he was getting his rebaited my rod was hit hard and I set hook "fish on". He said well guess no need I'm me casting out. Lol. I reeled fish in. Big thanks to a good friend of mine that made me a custom rod. It's a med lite trout rod. Well today was a bull red rod. Took a beating from those reds today. It did an amazing job at bringing in those reds. Will say next time I'll take my bigger rods tho. Need more power to bring them in with the current as strong as it was.

We had a blast. The fish were there and we caught 4-5 each and some broke off. I didn't get pics of all the fish. Tough to do in rough conditions and sometimes we both had fish hooked up at same time. We only fished 4 hrs total. 2 1/2-3 of them were when we were catching small stuff. My buddy said yes I should've listened to you when you said let's go to Big Bull area.

It was a great day on the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	40885

Name:	IMG_1617.jpg 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	40886

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	40887
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Sorry for sideways pic above . Trying to fix them.

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	40889

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	40890

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	40891
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.

mikechell
    Wow! Those are some very nice Reds.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX jeremy86360's Avatar
    Some pretty fish. They are hard on equipment that's for sure. Looks like a blast though! Redfish on the half shell in the near future?

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    i was trying to fix them and tahnk you and mark fo your contributions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHAT MAKES aMERICA GREAT !!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy86360 View Post
    Some pretty fish. They are hard on equipment that's for sure. Looks like a blast though! Redfish on the half shell in the near future?

Thanks guys.

No all these were put back in water. They get this big I don't keep them. The breeding stock for future fishing.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    I'd bet saying they are hard on the equipment is an understatement. Looks to me like they me hard on the body as well. Good job Vetto.
    It's knowin' that your door is always open sideways and your path is free to walk......

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    Congratulations on a fine outing. I put em all back but those that big need to be C&R. I'm also odd man out being as I don't like to ear reds period.
    Now if that don't fling a craving on you, might need to check the pulse.
    I know Sabine Pass is in my near future. I'd say by the end of the month for sure if not sooner.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    WOW... bet he'll listen next time LOL ..... those BIG reds are great fighters & like said they ain't worth a dime for table fair once they enter the bull stage.... however those low slot reds are GREAT any way you want'em....
    Nicely done Vetto & Mark.....
    ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....
    PFD's SAVES LIVES.....WEAR IT.....

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Oh man. Nice catching. I still have not got on those fish with any type of consistency. BTW, Im'a let Jim know you've voided your warranty on that rod lol.
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist