Thread: Big ugly off the bank

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar

Big ugly off the bank

On our redemption flounder trip. After we stopped fishing for flounder we packed up and went looking for water we could wade in. Made it to one spot. We got out and we were about to walk the area and check it out. I told BFT let’s got talk with this older gentleman fishing with his grandson. As I walked up I said hello how you doing? He looked old and gruffly. Lol He spent around and said what? I asked again how you doing? He looked puzzled at first. Told him just checking on how his day went. He said he fished the pass earlier and didn’t do well. I said we did alright and showed him pics. He seemed calmer now. Told him we were looking for places to wade and saw this area. As we were talking I said your rod just got a hit. As he turned to look at his rod and it went down. He set hook and the fight was on. Big ole grin was on his face all the sudden. Looking at the bend on that big rod and Garcia 6500 getting line pulled off it I asked you got a net for the fish? He said no!! BFT told him we do let me run and get it. He fought it for a while. All the kiddos were getting excited seeing that big fish splashing. He got it close to edge BFT netted it for him.

He thanked us for netting it for him. He was a different person now. Talked more and was genuinely happy someone was there to help him. He said man only thing these fist are good for is the fight. I said and other thing is bragging rights pics too lol. He said your right. Will you take my pic with it? I said sure. He unlocked his phone and I took his pic. He was much more happier and smiling. We told him ok have a great day we are going to try and wade this area.

I took a pic of the fish with my phone as he was getting pliers to remove the hook.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8B03024-03B4-4B91-92BD-1C5456DB819E.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	41159
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    he was using cut bait aey?dazwhat big uglys like thanks for brighting ole man day.grumpy oe sat ydogs seems all they wanna dois fight....... i had an ole 80 yr ole wman fishing besude me at the pass she was ok just asked too many questions ..like what do you think you gonna catch with that rod ????where do you live??? huh huhhuh?? I told her i was from Louisianna she said iknew yo uwere Cajun i said no i MexiCajun, not sure but guess i just wanted to fish nad be left alone

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Y'all was that old guys lucky charm! So did you find paydirt on the wade?
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    what dat means
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_wrider View Post

Moderator Master in FishingTX dan_wrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleben View Post
    what dat means
    "hit paydirt" In this instance I was asking if they caught fish....
    Oh, my friend . What time is this . To trade the handshake for the fist

Admin Crappie Champion Master in FishingTX SKsCrappie's Avatar
    LOL..... cool story....
    ENJOY THE HUNT OR STAY HOME.....
    PFD's SAVES LIVES.....WEAR IT.....

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    Cool story. Very kind gesture on y'all's part. Also sets a good example for the young folks.
    It's knowin' that your door is always open sideways and your path is free to walk......

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_wrider View Post

Thanks for comments guys

Got a few hits on live bait. Nada on artificial.

We offered what bait we had left to a guy fishing there. He thanked us for them. We started talking about area and he gave us some info that should help us latch on to a few fish next time.

Big ugly was caught on dead shrimp on the bottom. It was a clean bottom. No rocks or hang ups in that area.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508