Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could go fishing anywhere-where would it be? Everyone can play!

Spyder Man Master in FishingTX Dutch's Avatar
    We went to Alaska in 2007 pulling a travel trailer and the trip took 10 weeks. Went fishing for Halibut and got three 25 pounders on a party boat. Sure was good eating. At another location I asked the locals where to go bank fishing for salmon. They said to to "Winnebago point" across the bay. I drove around the bay, about 15 miles, and found the point, where all kinds of RVs were parked and people were fishing elbow to a$$hole along the rocks. I watched for about 30 minutes and never saw anyone catch any fish. Even if they had, I wouldn't have fished there in that crowd. So I started driving back along the bay and saw a commercial fishing boat putting out a net. I pulled over to the side of the road just to watch because the boat was only 100 feet from me. When they got the net set, the boat moved over to the rocks along the shore and the guy had a toilet plunger attached to a 15 foot pole and he was popping the water about 2 feet out from the rocks. What the heck????? Then it occurred to me.... he was trying to scare fish away from the rocks into his net. Hmmmmm...... I stopped the truck and got out my fishing pole, tied on a spoon I had bought at a local hardware store, and climbed down the rocks. All of the people at the point were casting straight out and reeling back in. So I decided to test that as a base for my experiment. I cast out 5 times and got no hits. Then I cast sideways about 50 feet about 2 feet from the rocks. Before I got 2 reel cranks I got a hard hit. The fish screamed away from the rocks and it took me about 5 minutes to get it in. It was a 7 pound silver salmon. They were not out in the bay, but were running the rocks, right below the feet of all the people fishing on the point. I caught 5 more in quick succession and called it a day. My arms were tired. I kept only one for supper and drove back to the RV and had a nice salmon supper. We left the next day.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-07-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    Cool story Dutch.
    It's knowin' that your door is always open sideways and your path is free to walk......

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Thanks for the story Dutch.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Junior Member Hooked on FishingTX
    Loving this thread! sub'd

Senior Member Master in FishingTX GILBERT G's Avatar
    dutch did they have good cigars up in ALASKA
    God Be With You

Spyder Man Master in FishingTX Dutch's Avatar
    No, but I brought my own.

The Pit Master Moderator Master in FishingTX Bigl's Avatar
    Very cool story Dutch. I have some friends that would go every other year. Rent a motor home for two weeks.
    They would time it so they could catch 4 different speces of fish. They had a guy drop out and asked me to go on their next trip. I said yes because I have always wanted to catch a hallabut. Sure enough they quit going so I can only look at their pictures. O well someday maybe.

Low and Slow BBQ Team

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Make your own trip and i'l lgo wit yu !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigl View Post
    Very cool story Dutch. I have some friends that would go every other year. Rent a motor home for two weeks.
    They would time it so they could catch 4 different speces of fish. They had a guy drop out and asked me to go on their next trip. I said yes because I have always wanted to catch a hallabut. Sure enough they quit going so I can only look at their pictures. O well someday maybe.