Thread: Essential jobs ??

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar

Essential jobs ??

Judge Hidalgo says people should stay home except for essential needs and those with jobs that are essential to the health and safety of the community.
    According to the order, businesses, except for essential business, will be required to cease all activities. Essential businesses must maintain six-foot social distancing as best as possible.

The order exempts essential workers covered in the 16 Critical Infrastructure Sectors outlined by the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency: Chemical; Commercial Facilities; Communications; Critical Manufacturing; Dams; Defense Industrial Base; Emergency Services; Energy; Financial Services; Food and Agriculture; Government Facilities; Healthcare and Public Health; Information Technology; Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste; Transportation Systems; Water and Wastewater Systems.

So does this look like an essential job... guy doing a detail on my neighbors truck well it would be essential to the guy doing it casue that's how he eats???????Just axin"!!
    Last edited by Gentleben; 03-27-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX AthensMike's Avatar
    My job is considered essential. I manage a small warehouse for a construction company and assist in delivering the goods to job sites. Our sales people are "working" from home. Office personnel are protected by signage telling outsiders to stay back 6 ft. Costomers are prohibited from entering the office. Me and my partner are exempt from these restrictions. Nothing has changed. Crowded job sites, elevators etc. This concerns me deeply since my wife has a lung condition. She has never smoked. A coworkers wife was tested but I do not know if it was positive yet. I learned this not by management, but from a contractor.
    After 15 years I finally have solid evidence and indisputable proof who is essential in our company. It's not the sales people.
    It's knowin' that your door is always open sideways and your path is free to walk......

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    So why are you and your partner exempt ?? I don't believe virus differentiates in work titles.
    Many years ago I got hair in one of my burgers since then I am a real stickler for hair restraints in the fast food industry and the mangers will be working side by side with other folks and tell me they are managers and that's why they are exempt..
    According to the Texas dept of health anyone handling food supposed to wear hair restraints but that is a rule they made up!!

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    AM I feel your pain on who is essential or not at work. I myself run a WH. We supply doors and hardware for multi family job sites. Office folks work from home. We layoff most in WH due to no one was paying us for materials we delivered or installed. I still had to get work done with myself and 1-2 guys I could get to come in. I worked 12-16 hr days. Pulling orders , receiving material in, keeping our installers moving and make sure tickets were complete physically and in the system correctly.

We have gotten busy again and got more of my guys back here working. I don’t think most at work understand what I did to keep place going. There were days I was only one there keeping it going. Office folks don’t understand it was me holding it together with very limited help. In their head all WH guys were all working even though I’d say daily I’m the only one here I can’t do everything.

Sorry guys ,I’m just venting on this crazy CV time.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508