Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed me some lures...

Senior Member Master in FishingTX jeremy86360's Avatar

3d printed me some lures...

Going to try to get offshore some this year. Maybe some in the kayak. Offshore lures are expensive. $20-30 or more each. So I bought a 3d printer. About a dollar in plastic plus hardware. I'll follow this post with a couple replies and pics. For reference the rattletrap on the left I made to copy the magnum which is the biggest they make. The one to the right is 4.25in long. I still need to weight them and finish them. The one on the left was a print on tissue paper on top of foil and devcon 2 ton epoxy thinned with running alcohol. Got a long way to go on making professional looking lures...but they might fool a fish or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210218-194547_Gallery.jpg  

Here is also why I chose to make them. Check out the hook hangers on a factory rattle trap. Sure would hate to lose a big fish at the oil rigs. The other one is how I did the wire. That's. 051stainless lock wire. Shouldnt go anywhere. I tied paracord to a 50lb tractor weight and was able to lift and bounce it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210218-194619_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210218-194604_Gallery.jpg  

So heres how I'm gonna do the foil to make scales. Foil, screen door screen, silicone mat, and a rolling pin. Think this should give them a nice touch. Once I get the hard plastic lures I want I am going to start making soft plastics. I can 3d print custom molds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210218-194633_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210218-194638_Gallery.jpg  

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Metalcutterr's Avatar
    Very nice! Just what a fisherman needs - another hobby!
    Could you share what kind of printer you got.
    For me going fishing is just about getting outdoors. Catching fish is just a bonus.

I got the ender 3 v2. The ender 3 is comparable to the Chevy 350. Nothing fancy...but a good bang for the buck and is the most popular. It was $225 I think when I caught it on a good sale.

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Very cool.

Keep us updated
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Trying a few finishing methods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210224-230158_Gallery.jpg  

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Metalcutterr's Avatar
    Very nice
    For me going fishing is just about getting outdoors. Catching fish is just a bonus.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Swett baby tuna !! somewhere in my barn i have a top water bait about a ft long i will try to find it and let you have it for a trial run for 50% of the catch on the lure LOL

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Nice.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508