Thread: Update on my grafted persimmon trees...

Senior Member Master in FishingTX jeremy86360's Avatar

Update on my grafted persimmon trees...

Well, looks like I'm gonna have a good crop of persimmons. These are the asian variety grafted on wild ones out in the pasture.

How many can you count in the pics?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210827-082006_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210827-082009_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210827-082012_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210827-082015_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210827-082019_Gallery.jpg  

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    i will guess about 10 0r so cant really count that high.....

sPeaking oif taht can you graft like a small turks cap to a large turks caps bush?? just courious ..

Most likely yes Ben.

Theres a few things like a table grape to mustang grape that doesnt work. But in general should be able to. I would probably do a bud graft. Clip a couple limbs in january. Wrap in damp paper towel and out in ziplock in fridge. When the plant outside starts to flush buds...graft a bud from the fridge onto it.

Turks campus edible I think. You ever do anything with them?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy86360 View Post
    Most likely yes Ben.

Theres a few things like a table grape to mustang grape that doesnt work. .But in general should be able to. I would probably do a bud graft. Clip a couple limbs in january. Wrap in damp paper towel and out in ziplock in fridge. When the plant outside starts to flush buds...graft a bud from the fridge onto it.

Turks campus edible I think. You ever do anything with them?
    Yes, on the edible part ; when i was a kid many, many, many years ago they used to be a source of candy for us we used to fight the humming birds for the nectar. now i jsu t feed to teh humming birds when i moved then i could not find them , while back i found one and trans planted from my dads ole farm it has not done well probably becasue of where i planted it when is the best time to relocate it. also since it is the larger of the two turks i would be interested in grafting some of the small turks to large turks plant . there are plenty of teh small ones the ygrow like weeds and spread jsut as fast .. tHe hummingbirds love them so i try to replan tand keep blooming .. i gave my neighnbor a po t iahd from old house i had tried to give it away numberous time to ungrateful folks i know bu they diid not realiy want them i gave them to neighbor friend across the street and they are really doing well!!
    So how many persimmons ??

Prob 20 to 30 on each tree.

What did they taste like Ben. Think I ate one in the wild and it was kind of bland and almost apple texture. But may not have been ripe.

no you do not eat them just suck the nectar and go to the next real sweet been a while .....

Ah, so like honeysuckle then. Got ya.

I have one small turks cap bloomimg like the dickens right now ,,, the birds are really enjoying them ,