Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ?? for an Engineer

Steve
    The factor that actually determines whether an object is being pushed or pulled is based on the location of the motive power in relation to the object coupled to it irrespective of the type of coupling.
    If the motive power preceeds the load while under accelleration, the load is being pulled, if the load preceeds the motive power while under accelleration it is being pushed.

I still have a belly button.

Steve

Randy
    Is that in theory? I couldn.t find that in Websters. Helps me.......

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    Perhaps the trailer is neither pulled or pushed. Per Pipers definition,"PULL: To apply force to so as to cause or tend to cause motion toward the source of the force", the position of the trailer is static in relation to the source of force. As the source of force moves forward or backward, so moves the trailer but its relative position does not change. The act of of coupling the trailer to the vehicle merely enlarges the size and mass of the vehicle. The question then becomes whether the motive force (i.e. the vehicle power train) is pushing or pulling the vehicle!

mikechell
    Now we get into physics. If you consider a balloon, with the air escaping from it, the forward force is being applied from inside the balloon, at the point opposite the escaping air. Opposing air pressures create forward motion. The odd "flight pattern" is caused by the steering effect of the "nozzle".
    With a motor vehicle, the force is being applied at the contact point between the wheel and the ground. There is no opposing force, except those the thrust has to overcome. All of these forces detract from the base horsepower, giving you the final horsepower at the wheel. So, the towing vehicle is applying the force. (Force and pressure are two words describing the same thing. Actually, pressure is just one of many types of force.)
    The trailer IS being pulled towards the vehicle, at all times. Even though is relative position never changes, if the force is removed, it will no longer stay with the vehicle.
    Is the mud any clearer now?

Catfish Jac
    It's all conservation of momentum, conservation of energy!

(at least that's what I heard somewhere)

JAC

Senior Member Master in FishingTX reedlv's Avatar
    The trailer IS being pulled towards the vehicle, at all times. Even though is relative position never changes, if the force is removed, it will no longer stay with the vehicle.
    Is the mud any clearer now?[/QUOTE]

Now I am even further confused??? How can the trailer be pulled toward the vehicle at all times???? I though we said it was already hooked to the ball???
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Randy
    In my redneck mentality, I always thought we wuz towing, but now thinking about it, it seems the force is making contact at the ball and the trailer coupling, thus the ball is applying force pushing the trailer in a forward motion.
    Now, I don't kow how to factor in global warming, ozone conditions, or x plus y = z, or relative motion stuff, anyways I always thought relative motion was when they left after dinner..

We may be onto something, safety push chains, pushing lights on a trailer, who knows.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    Mikechell....

the scientific definition of force is mass times acceleration.

the scientific definition of pressure is a force acting on an area.......not exactly equal to force.

The Lee Trevino definition of pressure....making a $2 bet on a putt with only a $1 in your pocket.....
    Clark.......gigem '91

Senior Member Master in FishingTX reedlv's Avatar
    Now that is what I call pressure. And Force would be the result of missing the PUTT.
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    If you ever figure this out, let me know. Untill then , just be sure to hook the trailer to the ball or it will not follow you!