Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ?? for an Engineer

Randy

?? for an Engineer

OK we had this discussion today, When towing the boat, are you pullung it or actually pushing it? The way it was presented , is that the ball actually is pushing the trailer down the road. Who would figure that.......?

BigcatLee
    thats a good question Randy, but I can see where you are pushing and not pulling.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    without getting too technical....like i could......the only time the trailer is pushing the ball is when the pulling vehicle is slowing down and the forward momentum of the boat and trailer are trying to "push" the vehicle forward.

This is the same as a train and engine.

but for all intents and purpose...the ball is pulling the trailer.

clear as mud?

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Common sense , plus the laws of gravity would dictate that you are pullin instead of pushing , unless you are backin your trailer into the water..
    Ok BigCat, Xplain yourself, how do you think it is pushin...............
    Last edited by Gentleben; 01-22-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Randy
    this is getting good.
    It was explained that the vehicle and the hitch is in front and we traditionally think of it as towing.
    The contact point is the ball where it fits into the "socket" of the trailer, as the vehicle moves forward, the ball pushes the trailer forward.
    I can see it now, "VEHICLE IN PUSH" instead if in tow...

Oh my God!! I see where this is going is the glass "1/2 full" or "half empty"??
    We had a situation at work one time and got into the biggest, hottest discussion on whether the cloumn level was "backing up" or "not going forward".What is the differenece?? The column was not moving, so what's the diff if the trailer is moving??
    I choose to pull my trailer and have my vehicle in the front pulling the trailer, in my simple way of thinking if i was gonna push it I would get behind it and drive my outboard thru my radiator while i attempted to push ..You all must ah been pretty board to come up with a discussion like that!!BWAGHAHHAHAHAHAH

Here's a good one for you, "when we were in the air, we talked about girls and when we are with girls we talked about being in the air" now who said that?

dpiper
    I don't get it?

Senior Member Master in FishingTX reedlv's Avatar
    The same could go to towing a vehicle. Are you actually pushing or pulling the chain or what every is towing the vehicle? If the chain does not cross in front of something. The system referred to as towing will not work.
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

You don't get what ???