Thread: Water Well Advise

Randy

Water Well Advise

Other than the obvious cost difference, what are the pros and cons on;
    2" well vs 4" well
    Jet pump vs. submersible
    Metal tank vs. bladder tank
    What are your experiences?
    These well drilling companies are like Car dealers.

Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler PlanoTracker's Avatar
    I'm by no means an expert, but I do have two family members with water wells, one for drinking, other for watering the yard/garden. I can ask them but I'm sure they are going to ask me a couple basic questions: In your case, what is the purpose for the water well? Are we talking about water for human consumption or not? Also, do you have any idea or estimate on the depth you will need to go to get to "usable" water?
    PlanoTracker
    "The battle of the sexes can never be won, to much fraternizing with the enemy."

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar
    I use a lot of water during the spring and summer, so the 4" is beneficial to me.
    Catfish...the other white meat.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    randy....do you know any of the specifics?

size of tank?
    expected use per day?
    pump prices......jet verses submerged?

flow rates for pumps?
    how deep will you be going to get water? any estimates?

pipe size will only affect volume of flow. if all you are using the well for is to supply house water........2" should be more than adequate. my house has 1/2" line at 60 psig feeding whole house.
    Clark.......gigem '91

I water half an acre of corn three days a week during the summer, so volume is an issue for me.

dpiper
    A 2" well is plenty large enough for a single family.

Jet pump: Pros - Its not submerged. It can be replaced without pulling the column. Con - If the column gets a crack it will not work as well. It like trying to suck through a straw that has a hole or crack in it.

Submersible pump is more reliable.

Pipes come in galvanized, stainless steel, or PVC. Galvanize pipe will corrode. Stainless steel is to expensive. Sch 80 PVC is best.

Motors can be either submerged or on top. Both will work. Submerged motor is quieter. Topside motor requires a shaft to extend to the submerged pump.

Make sure you use a licensed driller.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX BIGDAVE's Avatar
    Ok hear goes, 4" is better than 2", Deeper the well better the water. Use hvy wall PVC w/ 160 psi ratting for wells up to 220'. 50 to 80 gallon Galvanized tank is for sure the way to go. Don't think of using a bladder tank.
    The Multi stage pump is a deep well jet pump, designed for extra depth and pressure. It has two or three impellers in series that cause the water to gain pressure as it passes through each before going into the tank or diverted back to operate the jet. Adjusting the regulator will cause the right amount of water to be diverted back to the jet. In a deep well, a jet assembly is submerged in the well because the vertical distance to the water level exceeds the suction lift of the pump. A single pipe system must be used on 2" and 3" wells. A double pipe system must be used in 4" or larger wells. One pipe is the suction pipe and the other is the pressure pipe. Depths over 220' use galvanized pipe. The pressure switch is to automaticly start the pump when the pressure drops to 40psi and kick off the pump when it reaches 60psi. The tank has two functions. First it's a reservoir for feeding your house water and second it maintains a cushion of pressurized air. Have you heard the saying "my well is water logged". That means you have lost your cushion of air. This causes the pump to continue running and burn up. This cost me $400 three years ago for a one hp. Replaced the jet or foot valve as it is called sometimes for the third time during the Rita power outage. Life expectancy 8 to 10 years. Get the one with leather seal.
    IF You Don't Go, You Won't Know

Wow, great information BIGDAVE. Mine's 4" and is 275' deep. I reset the pressure to run from 40psi to 75psi, which is what the 80 gallon tank is rated for.

I agree that the deeper the drill the better the water. Mine tastes awesom and is very cold.

Randy, if price is an issue and you don't do anything more than supply your house, 2" should be fine. If you plan on watering a garden, yard, or animals I would spend the extra money and go 4". My well is over 200' from the house and it's nice to be able to run the dishwasher, washing machine and take a shower if I want to. We even had a travel trailer set up with family for a few weeks after Rita and had no problems.

Just watch the ants!!!!

Randy
    Wow, thank you guys,
    Most wells around here are 250 to 260 deep.
    The water would suppy the house only.
    The animals use the stock pond.

My experience with the blader tanks, the water smells like sulfer here.
    You guys have been a big help.
    Thank you