Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to start?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    medic1292

where to start?

i am looking to fisn the coast from my boat (wading also) this year. any advice on where to start?i mostly park and walk(wade).

mikechell
    That's a tall order, Medic. Are you planning on driving coast to coast, fishing as you go? If so, are you going to "beeline" to onw coast or the other before you start the fishing?
    I have fished in quite a few states, and might be able to help, but I need more information.
    The first thing you need to consider is, are you buying licenses in each state?
    Second thing is, (I hope you are planning a journal) start your journal now, include the preparations stage.
    Last thing is: Where are you going to start this journey?

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    since you live in San Antonio and have a bit of a drive i recommend that you find the closest fishing area. I'm guessing that its like Freeport or somewhere around there. then get a respectable fishing guide to introduce you to the local waters. tell him you want to learn the area. have him suggest places to fish during different seasons. this will help to eliminate unproductive trips. with the price of gas and the long drive this will prove to worthwhile. when you learn the area, give me call and i'll help split the costs.

medic1292
    mike, sorry, i meant the texas coast, rockport,Port A, close places. i could only dream of state to state. sides it would really be a streatch in my baby yaht. shes only a 16ftr alunacraft w/ a 40 yahama.

but skinner i have thought about a guide but 150- 250 for a half day? some guides assured me "no fish -- no pay", so 1 salty catfish= $$$. i thought of playing shadow to some local fishermen.? but i was told some people have tried this only to be met with unheard of phrases (mean, nasty words) and some with violence. i'll take my own chances thank you!:captain:

mikechell
    Ah, I understand now, Medic. Well, then, the only thing I can suggest for Texas is, if there's water, there's probably fish. Take a look at my thread under "Bank fishing". It's called "bank fishing oppurtunities", and I've caught fish in just about every little creek and bayou I've been to.
    Good luck.

i dont fish with a guide just to catch fish. its not worth the price. the years of experience and local knowledge is worth the price. ask lots of ?'s and learn. learn safe ways to get through areas (reefs cause lower ends are expensive), general areas to fish not just the hotspot that week (non productive weekends are expensive) and any other info he is willing to share (knowledge is priceless). so bring a topspot map and a list of pre-made ?'s. then you'll get your moneys worth. i'd be willing to help with the cost of a guide of certain areas so let me know if you are heading down.

medic1292
    myself, and a friend from work are planning a trip the end of this month.(27,poss the 28)i'll take you up on that offer! let me check my schuedles and i'll get back to you. did you want to do a 2-day weekend/weekday(s)? or just split one day?

medic1292
    minner, and your right knowledge IS PRICELESS! i really like the lower end now. it works! thats the reason we help right? to share and save us and others the headaches of bad mistakes. like going in blind. :question: what areas do you fish?

i usually fish around Galveston but would love to fish the port o'connor area. we will need to book a guide asap cause the good ones will usually be booked up. i'd only fish one day. first we need to check the tide charts to fish a 3 or 4 tide day.

dpiper
    A good place to wade fish Galveston is at the south end of Sportman Rd. Go south on Seawall blvd and turn right at 8 Mile road. 8 mile road makes a little left/right jog and turns into Andersons Way road. Sportman road is at the end of Anderson Ways. Go to the dead end. Several people wade fish and kayak from this location.