Thread: sting ray boots?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme

sting ray boots?

after fishing down in port O, i went and bought some ray boots. my friend and i wading into downtown stingrayville. about every two minutes or so a ray would swim by or shuffle away. i read that for every ray you see, you've passed by 5. this really got me worried about awful creatures. ive heard some horrible stories.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    what about the sharks that eat the rays?
    Clark.......gigem '91

1. lightning
    2. rays
    3. fast moving storms
    4. sharks
    5. getting skunked
    this is my list of worries in order while on the water. ive read that more folks are hit by lightning while fishing than people that are bite by a shark.i do worry about sharks so when in sharky areas i,
    * do put fish in a basket and not a stringer. for those that use a stringer never run the line through the gills.
    * release bleeding fish and those those male trout that insist on grunting in the sharks.
    * have an extra long leash for my basket to get it far away.
    * only perform the chicken dance when sharks arent in the area.

dpiper
    A friend of mine was wade fishing down in Matagorda a few years back and he had a shark latch on to a fish he had on a stringer and start pulling him into deeper water. Lesson learned: be prepared to cut a stringer off your belt when wade fishing the salts.

thanks piper, thats great advice. i'll be sure to remember that. ok when a shark starts to pull me around in the water then they will be #1 on the list for sure.

elpescador24
    It is a bad practice to actually tie a stringer to your body or wade belt.Better chance if you have the stainless steel quick release clip,where you insert the steel piont of your stringer into the slot.Yuo can pull the stringer point out very quickly in such an event.........