Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help to find good surf spots

Domin0

Need Help to find good surf spots

I am going once again deep sea fishing with some buddies on the Big E with capt elliots party boats on june 26, I dont ever get a chance to really fish the surf or around galveston very much. Where are some good spots from san louis pass to freeport. Is the pass good fishing from the beach or is the beach that faces open water better? what type of baits are better? is there a chance for flounder as well? As you can see i have alot of questions about surf fishing and bay and jetty fishing from the banks, something that i definately would like to get into as the summer progresses. Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    DO NOT FISH IN SAN LUIS PASS!! unless you are not wading (standing in the water)It is very dangerous, even if you know what you are doing. Dont get any closer than a couple hundred yards either side if fishing on galv or surfside beach. Lures range from typical mirror lures, soft plastics and top waters etc...Live bait of course, (shrimp, mullet, croaker etc...)Check Galveston.com and look at webcams to see what the water looks like, greener the better for trout. Wear long sleeves and pants (jellyfish) and watch for sharks going after your fish on a stringer.
    All this is for wade fishing directly in the surf for trout and reds. Flounder are there but not caught as much unless that's what you are targeting. Surf fishing for big reds and sharks will be completely different.
    If you don't want to get in the water (after all the fun stuff mentioned above) try the Gulf Coast Pier (91st) or 61st pier, San Luis Pass Pier or the Flagship hotel especially at night. Cost is about $8-10 for a 24 hr pass. Most folks running the piers will give you tips for what's been working at that time.
    good luck
    watching the skies...

Domin0
    If i am to fish in the surf what kind of setup should i have for using live bait one hook steel leaders? and how much weight? or how should rig the setup? do i have to walk out a hundred yards off the beach ? Was planning on chunking a line way out and relaxing next to my pole holders.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    great post outlaw.......i will have to remember that.....
    Clark.......gigem '91

Domin0
    does fishing off the beach in the pass put out or am i using wrong setups usually never have any luck? I usually fish on the left hand side next to the county park by the bridge. walk a little ways out and then set rods up in my pole holders?

nickc775152002
    LATELY WE'VE BEEN FISHING THE SURFSIDE JETTY'S AND THEY ARE REALLY STARTING TO CATCH A LOT OF TROUT. WE HAVE BEEN USING FINGER MULLET AND BALLYHOO'S. BUT YOU HAVE TO CATCH THE BALLYHOO'S OFF THE JETTIES UNDER THE LIGHTS. FISHING WITH A ONE HOOK LEADER WITH NO WEIGHT MOSTLY, SOME TIMES A LITTLE SPLIT SHOT ON THERE. WALK AT LEAST HALF WAY OUT THE JETTY. ABOUT 3/4 THE WAY OUT THERE IS A SLAB OF CONCRETE THAT STICKS UP ABOUT A FOOT ABOVE THE REST AND WE FISHED THERE AND DID PRETTY GOOD. BUT DEFINITELY CHECK AND SEE IF THE WATER IS GREEN. WE WENT TWO WEEKS AGO AND IT WAS REALLY SANDY AND DIDN'T HAVE ANY LUCK. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. FOR FLOUNDER TRY SWAN LAKE RIGHT WHERE IT DUMPS INTO THE INTERCOASTAL BETWEEN THE 2 POINTS...EXCELLENT FLOUNDER FISHING!! ALSO THERE IS A COAST GUARD STATION WHEN YOU COME OVER THE LEVEE TO THE RIGHT...LAUNCH AT THE BOAT RAMP RIGHT THERE AND FISH IN THE CUT RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE COAST GUARD STATION BY THE POINT. HAVEN'T FISHED THERE IN ABOUT A YEAR OR TWO BUT THERE ARE SOME REAL NICE FLOUNDER THERE TOO. :dinnertime:

NewCaneyFishingLady
    Very good information, Outlaw and Nick. Thanks!!! Many years ago, my dad and uncle went night time flounder gigging at the water's edge and had good luck.

D- If you've never fished in the surf, I'd say wait to go with someone who knows how or hit a pier first. Maybe in pre dawn hours and stay after daylight. You'll see the fish in the lights. If the water is green and it's the weekend you'll see how people fish in the surf. The waves break over the tops of sand bars with deeper water in between (where the waves settle back out are called guts). ONly the true die hards venture out to the third sand bar but it's usually a little bit of a swim and fishing in chest deep water. That's not for me, I'll stay on the second.
    As far as the park, I'd say if you want to sit and relax, that ought to be as good a spot as any. Fish on the bottom, steel leader with about a 1 oz weight and a 5/0 hook or so. Bait up with live bait or about 6in or so of any kind of cut bait. Your odds here are good for sharks, drum, reds and who knows what all. But again, be cautioned about wading out to cast. Deep water is very easily within casting distance from that bank and if the current is moving, it's not a good idea at all. The current will take the bottom out from under you and your past the bridge before you know it. We have several folks drown there every year for just that reason.
    watching the skies...

Dead shrimp by the park should get you some bites too, croaker, gafftop and of course hardheads.
    watching the skies...

Domin0
    thanks for all the input guys i apreciate it very much, i will be in freeport and in that area on june 25, if anyone is up for fishing on that sunday your more than welcome to let me know whats up, i will be there with 2 of my buddies and maybe you can show us some new pointers on the surf. thanks again