Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Worminator"

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar

The "Worminator"

Today's shout box had a reference to the "Worminator", a contraption to catch worms. In the Tyler area, we have what the locals call a "Worm Caller". The act of using a worm caller is "Calling Worms".

I thought this was like Snipe Hunting when I first heard about it. A friend showed me his Worm Caller and told me about using it to Call Worms. Since he was known to be a honest, church-going man, I gave it a try. To my surprise, it really works.

The Worm Caller consists of two pieces of 3/4 PVC, one about 24-30 inches and one about 18 inches. The long piece has notches cut about 4-5 inches apart.

fishing fireman
    Two good sticks or two peices of small rebar work just as well. I may kinda show my roots here, but I learned how to do this about 25 years ago. They won't sell a lot of those store bought contraptions down in southeast Texas.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    To Call Worms, cup your hand over the top of the notched PVC and hold it firmly to the ground in an almost vertical position. Hold the short PVC horizontally in the other hand and rub it rapidly and firmly up and down the notched PVC. This creates a lot of vibration into the ground, making the worms come to the surface. Sorry, no action picture because I am here by myself and it takes both hands to operate the Worm Caller.

The key to this working is (1) there have to be worms where you are calling and (2) they have to be close to the surface. If the ground is dry or cold, the worms will be deep and will not come up.
    Last edited by tylerdan; 06-20-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Mouth
    seems like allot of work for some worms...plus these are ground worms right? so there smaller? well Im thinkin big fat night crawlers at 3$ for 12 is a good deal then...but thanks for the info...

There is another contraption that I wonder if it works called the Procupine ball supposedly your to put in a spot you frequently visit and throw it in the water in a few weeks it grows alergy and brings the fish to your spot...

john
    Well i put my foot in my mouth.I am just gonna have to try it.Hope it doesn't call up a copper head,coral,or timber rattler.The ground is perfect now.

horseshoer
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdan
    To Call Worms, cup your hand over the top of the notched PVC and hold it firming to the ground in an almost vertical position. Hold the short PVC horizontally in the other hand and rub it rapidly and firmly up and down the notched PVC. This creates a lot of vibration into the ground, making the worms come to the surface. Sorry, no action picture because I am here by myself and it takes both hands to operate the Worm Caller.

The key to this working is (1) there have to be worms where you are calling and (2) they have to be close to the surface. If the ground is dry or cold, the worms will be deep and will not come up.
    What a relief that there was Part 2 there covering operation of the call.
    I was thinking along the lines of flute/snakecharmer and was just fixin to ask where I can get some sheet music.
    Jeff

BW3D
    The way that I seen it done was to drive a wooden steak in the ground and take a peice of metal like a piece of rebar and rub it on the wiiden steak. I would like to hear about calling them on the telephone.

BW3D
    LOL!!! thats kind of funny.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    I use to have a worm caller. Except you plug it into the extension cord and shove it in the ground and they would come out dancing.

Warningo not use these on damp surface while barefooted! yikes! LOL
    The fish are in the water!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar

waterspout

do you speak from experience on the electric used with wet ground and bare feet?.......i can picture it now....LOL
    Clark.......gigem '91