Thread: Question About Snapper Fiahing Big E

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Domin0

Exclamation Question About Snapper Fiahing Big E

this will be my second trip out on the deep blue sea, and my second time on the big e with captain elliots party boats. I have read and researched many peoples opinions on the 12 hour trips. What i have been informed from most replies is the fact that the charter boats are in the business to make money and will not let you sit on there honey holes long and to utilixe the first 15 - 20 mintues while anchored. My first trip out i used there rods and reels/ setups. I have read in some other forums and on this board also that using there setup witch consists of a 20 ounce weight and double hook leader is the old school manner compared to the days of snappers not having limits and having a meat haul when you went out to venture for the snapper compared to the length limit now and that you want to increase your productivity to catch the tru pick o the crop( meaning the sow snapper) I recently have purchased my own rod a reel, a shimano tekota 700. it is currently rigged with 50 lb test. My major question is...instead of rigging my setup the same way they rig there setups on the big e, should i try to runa jig setup? snapper slappers opr another type? i see some people post that the jigs keep the smaller snapps from biting the lines and eating up your time. is this tru? and some saying to put a sardine or live bait on the end of the jig can increase your chance? can this jig setup also target amberjacks or kings? Basically im asking for help on how to rig my pole to have a blast of a time to catch legal limits on my next trip and to also increase my chances of different species. what size jig head? do i have to put a weight on the line with jig to help it sink? or brand jigs to buy to jig for snapper and amberjacks? should i run aleader witha jjg or just swivel? if so what pound test? if i jig can a i still catch grouper? I will be boarding my trip on monday the 26th of june. any information on this would greatly be aprecciated. Thank you guys and gals for taking the time to read this.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    i am no expert...ut had a few minutes this morning to research the internet.......

Pilchard rigging....seems to suggested for larger fish......just search google for "Pilchard rigging".....to get an idea how it is rigged.

good luck to you.

my guess is that if you target the larger fish...you will catch less......
    Clark.......gigem '91

Mouth
    Well I have never fished the Golf. Yet!

But I have done Ten Charter out on the Pacific for Halibut, COD, Salmon, and Tuna. Most of the rigs used if your not useing cut baits was prettty simple. The first time I went I paid to use your there poles and tackle I learned that it is a little cheaper to use your own but not that big of difference...Now before I boated, I was at the tackle shop and bought four different rigs most of them were set up with two or three Grub Plastics and large Jig with a large weight at the end I will take a pic and post it if it would help.

Domin0
    thank you if you could please post.

Red03Ag

snapper

sounds like you have been getting good info...ive never been on a charter boat but have heard the same thing, only makes sense that they are not going to keep you on their holes too long or make sure that everyone catches the big ones. I fish out of Galveston on a private boat owned by my fishin bud. We use spro prime bucktail jigs 3oz (Cabelas and some other places carry them) chart. or shad color, w. squid, dead giant shad or herring, no wt., leader w. heavy duty swivel. Don't fish right on the bottom. Went two weeks ago and we had 9 snaps, all 14# to 21#. I also caught two ling, all on same rig. Some of the snaps were caught on live blue runners. Method has proven successful every time we've targeted the big ones (I'm sure part of this has to do with location). Also good for AJs. Dropping a weighted double circle hook rig w. dead squid or fish almost guarantees fish, just drop to bottom and start reeling up (no need to set hook), but they are probably going to be small. Hope this helps. Was going to attach pics but it keeps telling me they exceed the limit, guess the fish were too big. (j/k) I can email or post them if someone can tell me what im doing wrong, this is my first post. -RED

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    Clark.......gigem '91