Thread: Red fish tags

Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler hobo247's Avatar

Red fish tags

How can a person under the age 0f 16, get a red fish tag? They don't need a license or any stamps to fish.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar
    Good question! For hunting tags there is a special hunting license at a reduced price for persons under 17 or over 65. But for fishing tags, the special fishing license at reduced price says it is only for people 65 and over, and does not mention people under 17. I think you better contact the TP&W Dept.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><

Mulcade
    Give 'em a call at (800) 792-1112. I tried to find that info at their website (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/), but didn't have much luck.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar
    I'm sure it's too late, but I ran across the answer in the TP&W rules:

Persons who want to obtain a red drum tag and are EXEMPT from fishing license requirements may purchase an Exempt Angler Red Drum Tag for $3.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><

ratred

bulls

As a avid saltwater man , I can tell you that there is nothing tasty about those big bull reds .if your gonna tag one for food , tag a 28''-30incher and let the big ones go. I tagged and kept one last year for curiosity after practicing C&R all my life and I wont be keeping another.Now I still use my tag every year but I wait till I catch one right over the 28'' mark. Nothing more frustrating than letting one go thats a half inch to long, and nothing more beautiful than watching a CPRed breeder red swim away unharmed!

Juggernaught
    On top of that, they will sure ruin a good electric fillet knife real quick. Not to mention the worms. Ideal eating size is 22-26".
    Quote Originally Posted by ratred
    As a avid saltwater man , I can tell you that there is nothing tasty about those big bull reds .if your gonna tag one for food , tag a 28''-30incher and let the big ones go. I tagged and kept one last year for curiosity after practicing C&R all my life and I wont be keeping another.Now I still use my tag every year but I wait till I catch one right over the 28'' mark. Nothing more frustrating than letting one go thats a half inch to long, and nothing more beautiful than watching a CPRed breeder red swim away unharmed!