Thread: Cast Back in TIME!!

Web Owner Master in FishingTX

Cast Back in TIME!!

OK, let set the stage, here is some names of things and places, from 25 to 30 years ago, and how things have changed, and how we have changed.
    Popular beer : Shclitz, Pearl, Lonestar,Texas Pride, Ballentine,
    (every now and then you might still hook one of the cans when fishing)
    Popular Radio Stations: KIKK, KENR,KNUZ,KILT,KULF
    (remember the "kikk-up truck" bumper stickers?

NO BPS back then: we had three malls, Almeda, Northwest and Town&Country, Globe Shopping City, Woolco, K-Mart, TG&Y, Wooloworths, Gibsons, Wackers, even the Kroger's in Conroe sold socks and underwear and jeans. Remember the Sears mini boating and camping catalog?

My dream boat I had was a 12' flatbottom Gamefisher with a 7.5 Wards Sea King. Tackle of choice was a "Diawa Mini Cast" a floating styro foam 12v 40watt crappie light, (High tech), I was up-town when I got a mushroom anchor and an anchor mate. I had to carry extra shear pins in my tackle box, The hydrilla was so thick it looked like you could walk on it. Jug fishing, it was either a bleach bottle or an anti-freeze bottle.

Fishing Reports: I was lucky i guess, I had an AM clock radio (without a snooze button). That radio was responsilbe for alot of absenteism. I would lay there in bed in the mornings and listen to the early morning fishing reports on KULF 7900 AM,and try to think of an excuse why not to call in sick from work!! (Man those were the days)

Computers, internet: no such thing. Only people like NASA, and places like that had that kind of stuff.

TODAY: The fishermen of today, spend countless hours on a computer, within seconds, you can see how the fish are biting on Lake Mead on Lake Erie. Lake Conroe, Lake Houston. You can meet fishermen and fisherladies from across the country.Catch up on gossip, start gossip, even exchange fishing information . Picture taking cell phones, instant gratification, you can send a picture of your fish right from the boat, still dripping with water. You can call your wife from the boat, to prove you are really fishing. There is green lights, black lights, red hooks, circle hooks. The crappie even have condos nowadays. Depth finders with high resolution graphics, underwater cameras.

When you think about it though, the fish taste the same, we haven't changed we just adapted. Remeber the CBs, we all had one, and our catchy CB handles, Maybe we just upgraded, we exchanged our handles for what is now called a "user name", we all carry a cell phone, Instead of 10-4s, 10-9s, 10-8s and 10-100s, it is IPs, "whats your url", upload, spell check, avatar, thread, html, BBcode, e-mail, instant message, reboot, and viruses.

Just think, the next generation of fisherpeople, migh have sattelite imagery to find fish. taser operated fishing poles, laptop/tackle box combos. night-vision fishing googles, solarpowered remote control spinner baits, who knows.

All of this in the name of fishing!!!!!!!!! You gotta love it!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar

lol

Just think, the next generation of fisherpeople, migh have sattelite imagery to find fish. taser operated fishing poles, laptop/tackle box combos. night-vision fishing googles, solarpowered remote control spinner baits, who knows

I'll still be using my dynamite and crank telephone :multi: yeeehaa!!
    The fish are in the water!

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    sounds laike it is time for you two to go fishing

cabin fever can make the mind run

zimzam
    I'm pushing 60 and been fishing a long time and seen a lot of changes too. most of them are ok thats progress but a few I don't like. One is the underwater video cams that can spot the fish and the type. It seems to take all fish out of fishing. Not much of the sport left. I guess they will still have the trouble in the stained water.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Bill Barrick's Avatar
    A while back, my dad handed me a steel rod with a $1.00 Wards black reel, 30# test braided black line, a wood practice plug and told me when I could learn to cast the plug into a bucket at a given distance he had set up, He would take me fishing................when he got home the next day I showed him that I could get it in the bucket pretty often, so we went fishing. ( I also learned how to get out the backlashes) 7 years old
    Kermit the frog says " Time is fun when you are having flies. "

Be Positive-- I can do this!!

Ole Bill
    it is amazing Warden but i can remember all of that plus some that goes back a little bit more than that its kind of scary bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

otocatchfish
    The only thing I remember on that list is the kikk bumper stickers. everything else was way before my time although I think I have found a few lone star beer cans.

zimzam
    That is pretty good, I stated out using a cane pole fishing for yellow perch and blue gills in Michigan. Or using dip nets for the lake smelt and the hours of cleaning them till the fingers were numb.

john
    Makes you think..I just want a heated boat and rod grips.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    Bill barrick, did that steel rod have eyes or did you run the line down the hollow inside? My dad had the hollow one. It was a real challenge to get the Dacron line through the rod. At home, we used a wire but on the lake if you broke the line and reeled it back through the rod, you may or may not get it back through again!