Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This will stir your feathers... (sorry long)

Senior Member Master in FishingTX

This will stir your feathers... (sorry long)

So I'm talking to my 11 yr old daughter yesterday and she tells me that her English teacher is very upset that man is killing off all the fish in the world. She begins to tell me that we shouldn't keep our fish because we're hurting the population of the fishery. I try to explain to her the teacher was probably talking about global comercial fishing with longlines and gill netting etc...(which I agree with) because she mentioned some kind of chart or picture they were shown.

I teach my daughter to believe her teachers but I told her this one didn't know what she was talking about if she said all fishing. This teacher obviously don't care how long or hard I've been trying to keep this girl interrested in the "sporting" outdoors. She loves to fish but now thinks we shouldn't keep what we catch. Disney got the best of my older girl.

I'm gonna have to stop this teacher in her tracks but I'm not sure just how to do it. I don't know her very well I don't think. I've done a lot of volunteer work with the school in the past just not the past 2 years. My daughters principal and science teacher are both very aware and appreciative of the work and effort I've contrbuted to the schools. The science teacher I know well enough to consider a friend.

My daughter don't want me to say anything but I think I need to. Here are my options:
    a. talk to her myself and try to keep it professional
    b. talk to the principal and explain to him that his teacher needs to stick with english and not political viewpoints for 6th graders.
    c. talk to the science teacher and get her take on it or let her talk to the engllish teacher.

What would you do, and remember I have a very good reputation with the school, teachers and PTO of this and other campus' in our district.
    watching the skies...

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    I would do one of two things,

First approach the other teach who is a friend and ask them how you should handle the situation. If they don't want to get involved then setup a meeting with the teacher and air out your concerns.

Other option is to go through the principal if it becomes a continuing problem, if she expresses those views about fishing from a one sided point of view, who know what she will say next.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

jwevansv
    IMO option b. and the teacher in the meeting with the two of you. That way everyone knows what each other is saying first-hand. Bring your point of view along with what you believe to be true and show her that there is another side of the debate.

stubblefieldcrappie
    i am a young guy that does not have kids but i do have an opinion on this. i think you should take it up with the principal first and then, maybe have a meeting with the principal and the teacher together. i truly dont understand why an english teacher is telling kids about fishing anyway, doesnt exactly fall under english curriculem in my mind. i have a feeling the principal will want to know why the teacher is spending time telling kids not to fish instead of teaching english. thats just my opinion anyway.

dpiper
    Invite your daughter's English teacher over for a fish fry. There you can explain the the character building aspects of fishing and eating what you catch. Explain the concept of conservation and that a part of conservation is to cull the population to prevent over population. Explain the practice of CPR and why it is important and that this is what you're teaching your daughter.

After the meal and the discussion you can offer her some humble or crow pie.

BW3D
    I think I like Pipers idea.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Invite the teacher fishing take 4 concrete houseblocks, when you get over deep water tie one to each leg and arm and swear the teacher tried to steal all your trotline weights and went to the bottom of the river ..:fart:

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Don't know whose idea I like better, piper's or Ben's. Open house thursday, maybe I'll wear my fishing hat!
    watching the skies...

Layton
    Ben,Ben,Ben That's bad LOL. I agree with Stubblefieldcrappie on this one.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar
    There are many good ideas here. I don't think you or the English teacher will have the proper time at Open House, and other parents will be around; not a good time to approach it. Piper's idea is great, but in the sad world we live in, I don't know if it will happen. The English teacher may be a vegetarian. I don't think an English teacher would even bring this topic up if they weren't fairly narrow minded on the topic. My vote would be a combination of Stubblefieldcrappie's and Jwevansv's ideas. Meet with the Principal and the English teacher at the same time for witnesses sake. You have college educated fisheries biologists on your side on this.

Just IN GENERAL (I hope I don't offend anyone here) English majors tend to be liberal in their views. They would TEND to be anti-hunters. I am somewhat surprised this teacher is anti-fishing, particularly enough so to try to use their position to persuade their students to be anti-fishing also. I bet you're correct about the teacher meaning globally, and not the catfish or white bass in our local lakes. Largemouth black bass fishermen are probably that species best friend; they spend lots of time and money and harvest in such a way to help. Good luck.
    Last edited by whitebassfisher; 08-29-2006 at 08:47 AM.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><