Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flounder gigging question????

NewCaneyFishingLady

Flounder gigging question????

Hi, I was shopping for gigs today and saw there are 2 frog gigs. A 3 prong and a 5 prong.

Since there is a $2.00 difference, I was wondering which one do you flounder gigging folks like?

Also, what kind of pole to you attach to them and what kind of lighting do you use? Thank you so much!!! :dinnertime:

dpiper
    I gig my flounder with a fork.

why_knot
    there should be two types of gigs. The one you need is a flounder gig not a frog gig. The flounder gig is much thicker and should already be mounted on a pole (usually with one or two prongs). Frog gigs are not usually strong enough for salt water. A large flounder can bend a frog gig and the barbs can damage the meat.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Thanks for the come back and welcome to teh site . I am kind ah like piper i gig mine with a fork too, it seems like flounder giggin would be alot of fun , ,MY luck is i'd probably gig ah sting ray and get stung

Senior Member Master in FishingTX bearwhiz's Avatar
    Why knot is right. I always use the 2 prong if I'm in a boat as it is just a little bit more holding them on when I throw them in the boat. Flounder gigs have no barbs.

bearwhiz

Senior Member Master in FishingTX willie's Avatar
    i use a one or two prong barbless gig.i use a lantern with a shield on it.my buddies went thursday night and gigged thirty.one guy had bought a 12volt submersible light and pulled a small kids boat with the battery in it behind him.they said his light was 5 times briter than a lantern.now the others went and got them some 12 volts lights.
    theres room for all gods creatures,
    right next to the mashed taters.

NewCaneyFishingLady
    Thanks everyone!! I went to Gander Mountain today and got a real flounder gig there, it has 1 straight, stainless prong.

Willie, I like the idea for the light. I had been wondering if one of those lights you can wear on your head would work.

Anyhow, I got my gigger, almost ready to get some flounder. .... :dinnertime:

Senior Member Master in FishingTX bearwhiz's Avatar
    The light on your head won't work as it won't penetrate the water.

bearwhiz

Senior Member Master in FishingTX willie's Avatar
    some academy's carry the 12volt lights and fishing tackle umlimited on 45s has them.i have also taking a pelican submersible flashlight and duct taped to a stick.the pelican brands are waterproof and work good under the water.
    theres room for all gods creatures,
    right next to the mashed taters.

Junior Member Hooked on FishingTX
    I have the 12 volt type light that goes under the water and I have an innertube that I put a 12 volt battery in that I pull behind me, it is just sitting here colecting dust. If you would like to borrow it give me a call . 281-441-2759. my name is Delbert.