Thread: New State & World record blue

Web Owner Master in FishingTX

New State & World record blue

Jan. 19, 2004, 8:18AM

121-pound blue catfish caught in Lake Texoma
    Associated Press

SHERMAN - It's a whale of a tale, and an angler produced a 121-pound catfish to back it up.

Cody Mullennix, 27, of Howe, was fishing from a bank on the Texas side of Lake Texoma Friday when his rod and reel went down, the Herald Democrat (Sherman-Denison) reported in today's editions.

After a 20-minute struggle, he was able to land the 60-inch long blue catfish. He needed help from longtime angling buddy Jason Holbrook to weigh the fish.

"I was out there by myself and we didn't have any scales beside a 50-pound set," Mullennix said. "Jason brought a 100-pound set of scales. This fish bottomed those scales before we ever even got the fish off the ground."

It may be the largest ever caught in Texas. According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's Web site, the state record for a blue catfish was 100 lbs., 54 inches long, caught by Reyes Martinez out of Lake Texoma on March 11, 2000.

After getting an accurate weight of the fish, the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens transported the fish back to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department facility to be put on display.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar

the same but different

Article sent to me from a fishing buddy in Calera, Okla

BY LYNN BURKHEAD

HERALD DEMOCRAT

Mention Lake Texoma in most angling circles and you'll find out that the local body of water enjoys a sterling reputation as one of the nation's premiere spots to catch a freshwater striped bass.

That became apparent on Friday when 27-year old Howe angler Cody Mullennix hooked, battled, and landed a 60-inch long blue catfish weighing 121-pounds, eight-ounces while he fished from the bank on the Texas side of Lake Texoma.

Landed on a 14-foot Shakespeare rod coupled with a Jarvis Walker reel that was spooled with 20-pound test Offshore Angler Tightline monofilament, Mullennix's 20-minute battle produced not only an apparent overall Texas state record for the species, but also a possible International Game Fish Association (IGFA) line-class world record.

Pending final record certification procedures, the blue catfish appears destined to break the current Texas rod-and-reel mark set in March 2000 when Reyes Martinez landed a 100-pound blue cat measuring 54-inches in length.

The Mullennix catfish will also apparently break the Texas unrestricted state record for the species, topping the 59-inch long, 116-pound blue catfish landed from a trotline in April 1985 by C.D. Martindale.

A check of the 2003 IGFA world-record book shows that the Mullennix fish may also be the apparent world record blue cat in the 10 kg (20-pound) line class, topping the 109-pound, four-ounce blue cat caught by George A. Lijewski in March 1991 on South Carolina's Cooper River.

Since that South Carolina blue catfish is also the heaviest weight listed in any of the IGFA's 11-line class categories for the species, it would also appear that the Mullennix catfish is also the largest blue cat ever landed anywhere in the world on a rod-and-reel.

That's when the even bigger world-class catfish took the angler's offering of a three-inch dead shad on an 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook and made Mullennix's outing a historic day of fishing.

"About 20 to 30 minutes later (after the landing the other big blue catfish), my other rod and reel went down," Mullennix said. "I grabbed it and knew I had another good fight, that I had hooked another good fish."

That was obviously an understatement.

After the 20-minute battle, Mullennix know he needed reinforcements when he finally landed the giant catfish. He quickly summoned his longtime angling buddy Jason Holbrook for some help.

(Editor's note: If that name sounds familiar, it should since Holbrook landed a then state-record rod-and-reel blue catfish in 1993 with he pulled an 82.5 pound blue catfish from Lake Texoma.)

"I was out there by myself and we didn't have any scales beside a 50-pound set," Mullennix said. "Jason brought (out) a 100-pound set of scales. This fish bottomed those scales (out) before we ever even got the fish off the ground."

After taking the fish to the "Tackle Box" to get an accurate weight, a crowd of camera-toting onlookers quickly gathered as news of the fish spread.

That group included TPWD Game Warden Dale Moses, who later quipped "Don't skinny dip in Texoma!"

Later on Friday, a crew from the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens showed up to transport the fish back to the TPWD facility where it will be put on display at the TFFC's popular aquarium.

"It's still alive," Mullennix said on Saturday evening. "I talked to them this morning. They said the fish was doing ok and they thought it would make it. It'll be there on display."

Be sure and look for the complete details on Mullennix's apparent Texoma world record blue catfish in this Friday's "Outdoors Section" of the Herald Democrat.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    The fish are in the water!

mudcat time to bait up for the big boys and show them what mudcat specials and lake houston can do

mrmakAUCTIONEER

the bigun

Ben Tim pardon my optimisum **** that biggun hook straightner we lost in the middle a da night his head seemed biggern than that, least wise in the minds eye, might be wishfull thinking **** HAY IT COUD HAPPEN EH?

i dont know, we will find out this year, lets dont take there glory though, these guys landed that fish from bank. and man is it pretty

The rod was 14 foot long, and he needed it i'll bet