Thread: Tropics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme Bgbluecat's Avatar

Tropics

Going fishing in the tropics for a few days. Will try for snook and cuda mostly. Will settle for snapper, cuda and jacks. Taking 12#, 25# and 40# rigs with me and a digital camera. Will make a couple of dives also. Upon return will contact Ben and get some instruction on how to upload images. Don't think I have room for my jugline box. Wish me luck/ml

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    Making me jealous just sitting here reading this. Be sure to get plenty of pictures so I can see what it's like there. Them barracudas are loads of fun. Hope you hook alot of fish and have loads of fun. Good Luck

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme Bgbluecat's Avatar
    Thanks minner. Returned yesterday and went jugging this morning just to get it out of my system. My trip was an 8 day cruise to Mexico, Belize and Honduras. Seems those people want to keep all the fish in the water for the snorkeling and scuba tourists. Everywhere I went, soon as I got out of the taxi, people would come running up to tell me I couldn't fish there. One of the beaches on the Bay Islands of Honduras wouldn't even let me on the beach with a rod and reel in possession.
    Hired a guy to take me out and we apparently had a communications problem. After we got out to the reef he tells me I can dive but can't fish since the area was a recreation preserve.
    The whole thing was quite a fiasco. Wound up catching one ray, a few jacks and a couple of yellowtail snapper. Closest I got to a cuda was having one cut a jig and trailer off (no leader).
    Take heed all - leave your fishing gear at home when you go on one of those cruise ships. They go only to heavily touristed places and all the businesses there depend on the fish staying in the water. Even on the diving side of it, everywhere I went No One was allowed to take seashells from the water, dead or alive.
    I did gain 8 pounds and got a good tan though.

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    Thats the problem with having a world famous reputation for catching lots of fish. They must have known you were coming. I had a similar problem fishing in baja cali one time. Had to pay the local kids to fish and catch lobsters for me. A local guy would then cook'em for a dollar or two. Best fish tacos i ever had. Glad you had fun. They should have let you troll off the back of the ship.