Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: galveston county

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme Bgbluecat's Avatar
    I used to wade and drift the flats pretty hard. Drifting, I pulled two croaker or pinfish rigs behind the boat and cast plastic down wind. Worked well for me but it was principally a warm weather effort. It got to be too much work competing with too many other fishermen for too few fish so I changed to offshore. Usually wait until the water gets to about 72 degrees before I start. Have found so many bull reds around the near rigs that I've had to move to get away from them. Don't know what others call "bulls" but have spent an afternoon releasing fish 42" - 44" fish.
    I've got an old 20' Grady White so holler at me this spring. Usually have room for a third hand. Beyond that, a 20fter gets crowded when the fishing gets fast.
    May see you at the gathering this coming weekend.

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the crowds. I try to avoid most of the crowds. Got a few spots that fish know about but not to many other people. One tip I was told was to never pass up a shore bird, this has served me well. Can't wait for that 70 degrees mark.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Put my name on that list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    The reds have been in shallow water around upper Jones lake area. Fish those shallows when the sun is up and key in on the mullet. You will see the difference between rafting and nervous mullet. when fishing the mud streaks try to drift just inside the mud lines. throw your bait to the clearer water and slowly bring your bait back into the mud streaks. Trout and reds will wait just inside the dirty water for an ambush on the bait and if your drifting across the streak throw about a foot or less into the clear and reel right back down it keeping your bait right on the edge. my 2cent :shock:
    The fish are in the water!

Sounds like some solid advice. Thanks Looking for a chance to try it out. Jones lake is but a short drive for me. I like using those sand-eels and spoons. Finger mullet is also a favorite. What have you guys used for bait with success?

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    Chartruese assassins, yellow assassins, yellower assassins ,Goosetruese assassins, did I mention yellow or chartruese. And sometimes I might throw a red assassin with silver flake, I also like the corky devil for the winter bite with nery slow retrieve with a twitch every now and then did I mention usen the Chartruese Assassin :lol: :lol:

there are time when darker colors are suppose to be better ( muddy water etc.) but I still go back to the ol trusty Yellow
    The fish are in the water!

I also love those chartruese ones. Once was guide remarked about He also liked that color as I was cutting one off to put some livebait on. Later while He was digging through his stuff, I noticed a clear plano box containing nothing but alot of chartruese colored plastics. The only color he had. I've got one devil corky but never used it. Those things are worth more than their weight in gold down in S.Texas. Once paid for a fishing trip along King Ranch shoreline for only 30 dollars worth of Corkys. His offer still stands. This Friday (2/13/04) morning going to try that N. Jones lake if weather permits. Any takers? Being friday the 13th and all. :shock:

man come on down to the gathering friday morning on lake houston and flush some of the salt out with some (muddy) fresh water may even get some catfish slim on you not as good as a gaftop but slime is slime :P

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    CORKYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a winter lure, aint nothin better than that devil with the rattle

Was wondering how you rig a rattle in one of those corkys? Is He (Mr. Corky) still selling out of his house or is there somewhere else to get em? What color corky do you consider your lucky color? Do yall use a loop knot with em? Whats your best catch on a corky?