Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraudulent Charge

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar

Fraudulent Charge

Just opened yesterday's mail, a credit card statement. It had a roughly $940. fraudulent charge! I cancelled the card immediately. This has never happened to me before, but I expect some frustration. I am ridiculously careful with money things, home and cars are paid for. The few credit cards are paid in full each month; I hate to pay interest! I am concerned to say the least. If I learn something useful through the process, I will pass it on to try to keep others from having something similar happen. Its probably time to check my own credit reports again to protect myself.

"Cry Baby PLace" seemed like the appropriate place.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Pawpop's Avatar
    Good Luck With That Don. I Know It's Going To By A Hasel
    And GOD said:

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    Don, if you have not already done so, contest the charge. You should not be responsible for it.

john
    Hope you get it handled without to much trouble.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar

Update

I have contested the charge, and won't be charged per Mastercard. I am not sure yet of course how much hassle this will be. But, I wanted to ad what I thought was an interesting update. This was a charge on a Mastercard, and they have been fairly easy to deal with so far. Mastercard asked me to find any info I could about the charge itself. It is listed as an online purchase from WallyWorld.com on a particular date. I called the WallyWorld phone number included on the statement. However, WallyWorld will not tell me what was bought, who bought it, where it was shipped, or anything! They won't even let me talk directly to the billing department! The phone number on the statement is to a person whose job is to tell me "we're sorry this happened, give me all your information, but you can't talk to billing and we won't tell you anything!"

I am so careful with this type of info that when I send a check to pay any bill, I take it to a postal box instead of leaving it in my mailbox on the street, and then shred what is left of the statement.
    Last edited by whitebassfisher; 01-23-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    WOW taht is terrible d on!!:captain:

Senior Member Master in FishingTX gator's Avatar
    heres another tip
    i did not owe discover any money so when i got a bill 5 years ago i was surprized about $800 dollars worth of discover checks that got cashed. they were real easy to work with and was not responsible for any chargers. i just hab to give description and statement saying i did not do it. what happen was they sent some them checks for you to cash well while we were in colorado for 3 weeks my post office had not stop my mail like i filed out the card. someone stol my mail and started writing checks.
    what i found and did was called all card company and tell them do not send checks i will call you if i need money. this is the way it should work but doesnt. so now i just get the bill.
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!

medic1292
    WBF, same thing happened to me several years ago.:grrr: someone told me to call the police and ask for the "Idenity Theft" hot line. You give them your info.... who, what, and where. They keep a tab on your personal info, and if something look funny they notify you and they go after the offender. My friend (Police Ossifer) told me they brought up a CC theft ring like that!. you should do a credit report and request that you be notified BY MAIL, at YOUR address, if someone request a card, or anything, to be sent to a different address. I may be wrong but i think you can even request that a password be needed for certain transactions. I have done this on my Debit card (works like a CC). I hope everything turns out ok.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago with an account, someone used my social # and made a purchase at a jewlery store, where I had an account. It took a while, but I put some added security on my accounts throught the credit bureaus and I have not had any problems since.

It is very frustrating though when someone tries to steal money and leave you hloding the bag.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Ole Bill
    thats why everyone should check their credit history about three times a year. my wife does it faithfully because i had a revolving charge account listed that i knew nothing about and was able to find out that my darling Xwife was still useing my credit history to her advantage needless to say she is very mad at me and still sends me hateful mail after getting out of jail.