Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be Alert for Staph Infections

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar

Be Alert for Staph Infections

I am sharing my current medical situation in hopes it may save you from my experience.

If you get a rash that is unusually painful for its appearance, see your doctor as soon as possible. If could be a staph infection.

I developed a rash on my forehead last week. It looked just like poison oak, which I get often, and I was treating it with a steroid cream. By the second day, the rash started to be painful. The following morning, the rash began to darken, turning black by noon. I called the doctor and got an appointment for the next morning.

By the time I saw the doctor at 9 AM the next morning, The black rash was an open sore, roughly an inch long and 3/4 inch wide, with a 2 inch red, hot, swollen raised border. The swelling extended down the left side of my face to the neck.

The doctor started me on a combination of oral antibiotics. He told me that there is a possibility that the staph may not respond to the drugs and them we move to some really nasty medication. I am on day 3 with no noticable healing but at least they are not getting worse. The antibiotics make me feel pretty bad.

Staph is bad--don't hesitate to see your doctor ASAP

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    sorry to hear Dan, hope the meds will take care of it......any idea how you got it in the first place?
    Clark.......gigem '91

Senior Member Master in FishingTX whitebassfisher's Avatar
    My wife, who is a RN but chose to go the X-ray tech direction instead, has mentioned to me how bad staph can be. Apparently it can be resistant to antibiotics at times, and hard to control. Staph is just one of many reasons that medical workers practice safe hygiene such as new gloves each patient, to prevent spreading it.
    Whitebassfisher
    <)))><

medic1292
    I saw my first case of staph. last man thats some bad stuff! Hope it does not get worse for you Dan.

john
    Hope your meds start working for ya Dan.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Bill Barrick's Avatar
    If'n you don't mind, Dan I think we all need to go to the GREAT PHYSICIAN and start up some prayers for you. On the way.
    Kermit the frog says " Time is fun when you are having flies. "

Be Positive-- I can do this!!

Scotta
    Dan that sounds painful. I pray the meds start working soon!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your concern and prayers. I made the post in hopes that it may help someone avoid waiting to get care. This is day 3 on the antibiotics. Doc said it would take 4-5 days to see any improvement. I see him on Monday and we decide if these pills are going to work. Meanwhile, I am just chugging along, one eye almost swollen shut. Going to a Defensive Driving class today--got a speeding ticket last trip to Austin. Everybody will look at my face and think I was in an auto accident!

NewCaneyFishingLady
    Dan, sorry to hear this terrible news about you. Sure hope you get better soon the easiest way possible.

OCOE
    Man, that's TOUGH! Thanks for the heads-up.

We hope and pray the meds start kicking in soon.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the defensive driving course