Thread: Galveston - 91st Street Pier

JasonV

Galveston - 91st Street Pier

Anybody ever fish this pier? I'm no pro, and don't have a boat so my stepson and I have just been going out on this pier every time we go to Galveston, but never really had great luck except for some gafftops and a few sandtrout. Usually the weather has been pretty crappy when we get down there, so its kinda been bad luck. We've been using fresh dead bait, anything from white squid, to shrimp, to cracked crab, to cut mullet.

Anybody have any tips on how to know when to go or what bait to use? Please help this beginner.

Scotta
    What I ve found about the beach front is it can be good anywhere but it's hit and miss. If the wind blows lightly out of the south east for a day or two the clear water moves in and so do the specks. If the water clarity is right you can almost always catch a limit of trout. There is always a week or two in August that has the right conditions and I go to where the seawall ends and it has yet to offer a limit of specks on mirr'o lures with a mix bag of other game fish. You can also usually find clear water despite the wind at the surf side jetty.

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    i try to avoid all the "big" piers in Galveston. just too many people and not enough fish. i know it gets good there sometimes just not fun getting tangled up with other lines constantly. i usually fish 18th street pier in San leon. a lot less crowded. not sure if Dollar point pier (Texas city) is open yet but stays less crowded also. these two piers are only a few feet above the water so you fish them better. i recommend two ways to fish the piers. first is to drop a shrimp or bait fish next to each pileon w/ a light. just bounce it straight down off the bottom. the flounders seem to like this. next is to toss glow in the dark plastics through the lights. many a trout (specs and sand) have taking a likeing to this. these are just the ways i've had the most luck on piers. i always fish them at night. about 12am-4am seems to be the best times.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX willie's Avatar
    they are right.get you a kids wagon and get a 5 gallon bucket with and aireator and use live shrimp.also seawolf park pier is good too.and don't go out to the t-head for trout.leave that area for the sharks and bull reds.use need to fish from 50 to 150yards out from the beachfront.like said above get some glow with chart tail plastics.if useing live bait try to free shrimp with just a small treble hook and if you have too a small split shot wieght.
    theres room for all gods creatures,
    right next to the mashed taters.

megjur
    If you hit the big pier in Galveston in the right weather, and during the week the fishing can be fantastic. I've gotten lots of big Spanish Mackeral, pompano, big gafftops, stingrays, sand trout, etc.....but only when the wind didn't have the surf looking like chocalat YooHoo, which unfortunatley is most of the time it seems. Hard to plan a trip and have it coincide with the right weather. Picture is just one example of whats available on the right day.[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by megjur; 05-31-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    awesome Megjur.......i bet that was a blast. have only tried to fish from san luis bridge once about 25 yrs ago. but didn't catch anything.
    Clark.......gigem '91

megjur
    It may be back to the piers for me Croxt...been having wayyyyy to many boat problems to make having one worthwhile so I may just get rid of it and go back to being a shore walker!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    now that i am "legal" with my boat, maybe we can hook up and go sometime. you can show me where the tilapia are.....
    Clark.......gigem '91

Senior Member Master in FishingTX gator's Avatar
    do not forget roll over pass great place to back the car up with some dead shrimp and catch a bunch of croaker
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!