Thread: spiders

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar

spiders

anyone know anything about spiders?

i found this one hanging off the swing set in the back yard. He is about 1-1/2" dia at the tips of the legs. beautiful markings but didn't want to get too close.

he is the biggest one i have seen around the house yet.
    Clark.......gigem '91

megjur
    I think they call em banana spiders...i just call em creepy.

Ole Bill
    The banana spider is a common name used for two entirely different species of spiders, the argiope of North America, and the phoneutria of Central and South America, the latter of which can be deadly.

GOLDEN SILK SPIDER: (Nephila clavipes) This picture is a golden silk spider. Most people call them Banana Spiders because of their yellow bodies. They weave very strong webs which look like gold thread in the sunshine. That’s why they are called Golden Silk Spiders. Their legs look long and hairy. The female is much bigger than the male. She is about 3 inches long, and the male is only 1/2 inch long. They make big webs, about 3 feet wide and live all over the southern US, especially Florida. They rarely ever bite people. Some people have allergic reactions to spider bites, but for most people, it’s the same as getting bitten by an ant or deer fly. It’s not fun, but it won’t kill you.
    HOW DID SPIDERS GET THEIR NAME? Over 700 different kinds of spiders live in Florida. The scientific name for spiders is "Arachnid" (uh-rack-nid). That name comes from an old Greek story. In this story, a girl named Arachne loved to weave. Her weaving was so beautiful and perfect that the goddess Athena got jealous. To punish Arachne, the goddess turned her into a spider. But Arachne still loved to weave, even though she was a spider. Today, all Arachnids, or spiders, weave silk. (Not all of them make webs though.) The word, "spider," comes from the German word "spinner," because spiders spin or weave silk.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX croxt's Avatar
    thanks for the info guys. i guess it is a female according to her size and the articles i read........i also read where you can knock down their web and they will find a more suitable place to build one. this one is in the middle of my yard......right where i have to mow.....
    Clark.......gigem '91

Ole Bill
    here is anothe bit of interesting trivia about the banana spider/ they are not common this far north and introduction to texas woods is blamed on hurricanes in the very recent pass that has actually blown the spider here. the banana spider young leave the egg sac and spin a long line of webbing with a small balloon on the end to catch the wind and soar to new territory. You should let the spider continue its weg and enjoy the beauty of it as it in no way is harmful or venomus to humans. the plus side for such a pet in the yard is it eats very big harmful pesty bugs.

nautic2200
    We have thousands of them on our deer lease in Brazoria County. Some are huge! I hate walking face first into one of them in the dark going in to my stand. They make really strong webs too. Gets all over everything.

Ole Bill
    yep they make one of the strongest webs in the world. and when ya walk into em they run like crazy to their base line of the web and hang on when the main web breaks they swing to the tree or what every and go higher or somewhere else to build again i really get facinated with them and i dont like spider at all.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX willie's Avatar
    thats the reason i don't mow my lease.when they cover the roads i make new trails.lol
    theres room for all gods creatures,
    right next to the mashed taters.

Ole Bill
    did ya know spider webs will glow if you shine em with a black light and the critters aint suppose to be able to see the lite either

Scotta
    No but I know if you walk through one they dont see the web they just see you trippping