Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass boat in the bay?

Ole Bill

Talking

I think the safest thing to do is find someone on this forum that has a boat suited for that type of water and hook up with them. you could offer to buy half the bait and fuel im sure there would be someone interested in that.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX willie's Avatar
    you will be ok if you fish the east side of east bay.stay away from the west side near the ship channel. might be better to go with someone familar ith the bay to show you some spots to fish.right now the bay has alot of fresh water runoff tfrom the trinity river. good luck
    theres room for all gods creatures,
    right next to the mashed taters.

Member Hooked on FishingTX RECONER's Avatar
    Get ya a good map and remember your are in the bay and not on the lake.

libertyFF
    I have a 16ft Aluminum with a 25 evinrude. I have taken it all over in the Freeport/Surfside area without any major problems. I would suggest this area as a good place to learn. You are never very far from some type of civilization and the area is not that big. HOTSPOTS has a good map of this area..Christmas and Bastrop bays and Cold pass are good places to learn. Be careful running around, reefs and such. The only problem you might have is in christmas, it can be pretty shallow. You being in a bass boat might have problems getting on plane. Obviously watch the weather closely. Good luck!fireman2

dpiper
    Good advice liberty

Ole Bill
    thanks liberty that tells me where i can put my lil ole 15 footer with 50 hp in the salty sea without to much trouble

cpowell

Thanks for the input folks!

Having seen todays report of some guys in a 22 ft. getting swamped by a passing ship I don't think I will ever get into the channel but that Freeport area sounds more like it. I just want to mess around, not getting too far from land. Nervous type I guess.
    I would like to catch some snapper or something, maybe a little shark just to say I have.
    I think maybe I need to have a little more experience on the lake for sure. A couple of weekends ago I was on Conroe and the swells looked to be about a foot and a half in a driving rain and I was REALLY nervous! So, I don't think I want to be out where the big ones are.
    I will be putting this info in a file for later though.

Thanks again.

Juggernaught
    All we fish is saltwater and we got an 18'8" BayStealth I would not reccomend usin a bass boat in saltwater cause of the swells like everyone said it's just dangerous

greyloon
    You aren't going to catch snapper near shore. They are a deep water fish, mostly. West Bay may be ok, just don't get too far toward the channel.

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    there is pleny of places in Gal. bay to run that boat. mainly stay away from the the jetties,ship channel or ANY beaches or shorelines close the HSC. moses lake is a well protected area. remember that there are lots of reefs to run aground or tear up a lower unit. also be aware of barges in the ICW. i can show you a few places sometime just PM me.