Thread: Begging for rain

Steve

Begging for rain

No joke, I'm begging for rain!

Send us all that extra rain that you don't want Texas folks. Us Tennesseans will gladly pay the postage! Geeze, we've got WEEDS dying here for heaven's sake!

I haven't had any rain for six weeks and two days on my place. The local corn has been dead as a rock for three weeks and now the cotton and soybeans are in extremely bad shape and never grew past 14" tall to begin with. The leaves on the trees are turning yellow and falling as if it were late fall already. I'm worried....

You know, we never think to take the time to thank God for the little everyday blessings of things like timely rain until we don't have any.

My attitude sure has been "adjusted" on that point lately.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar
    I guess ya'll missed out on the little in the area yesterday.

Tennessee is actually the driest state in the country right now. Hope ya'll get some relief soon.
    Catfish...the other white meat.

Steve
    Yep, we completely missed it. From south of I-40 and over to Jackson got some. We didn't even get any cloud cover from the those storms.

One good thing though, I've only had to cut the grass twice this year and the second time wasn't really even neccesary except to just "even it up".

NewCaneyFishingLady
    Steve, I sure hope you get some rain soon. That is a shame about your crops. We need that high to stay over you just a little longer though, until after the hurricane makes landfall. Be happy you can mow, for the longest, it was too wet to mow here and there are still some muddy places we can't mow. Hang in there, it will come.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    I have empathy for you Steve. The Tyler area had virtually no rain for the past two summers. Our lakes ran out of water, many trees died and most crops failed. Then this spring and summer, we got so much rain that flooding became the problem. We still have several roads awaiting repair from flood damage in our area. But at least all the lakes are full again.

Steve
    I remember both you and T-bone telling me about that Dan and then posting some pictures. It's incredible how fragile things become when all that's kept back is some rain now and then.

I was in the pharmacy yesterday and saw a local paper sitting there. On the front was a huge photo of one of our small local lakes (Beechlake, JonW) and the photo was showing nothing but mud as far as you could see at the base of the dock footings. Tied up to them were bass boats and deckboats just laying on the mud at odd angles.

It was a sobering picture....

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar
    I can only imagine. Beech lake was the lowest I'd ever seen it four weeks ago when we fished it. No rain since.
    Catfish...the other white meat.

NewCaneyFishingLady
    ok, Steve, the coast is clear, it worked. The hurricane went to Mexico. I pray that you get some rain real soon. I also pray for all those that were affected by the hurricane.