Thread: mucha trucha

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme

mucha trucha

Caught a limit of trout this Friday night :P 8) . Used live shrimp under a popping cork under the Galveston causeway. Had 10 trout between 16-21 inches. Threw back more undersize fish than I could count. Didn't catch anything but one large jack (about 25 lbs) until about midnight, then it just turned on. That was the first jack I ever caught and hopefully the last. If you ever hooked one of this freaks of nature you know what I'm talking about.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol:

Thin Water Tracker
    I had a budy that was fishing out there he said they were free shimping and doing good on the tide chages. Smallest one they had were 4 lbs they didn;t limit but had 8 nice fish between 4 to 6lbs.

I'd rather have 8 fish between 4-6 lbs. Thats a heavy stringer :P . Hey TWT, did the fish move to different sides of the bridge on different tides? I was fishing on an outgoing tide on the north side of the bridge. I threw every kind of lure in my box but couldn't get a bite . From plastics to topwater to rattle traps to spoons to corkies to imitation shrimps to shallow crank baits and no fish. Then would throw a live shrimp and catch a fish. There was a lot of glass minnows in the area and I didn't have anything that looked like them. Any suggestions? please.
    Was told by a friend that dollar reef was giving up large trout and reds during the day. They used both live shrimp and plastics to haul'em in. Ready to run and try there.

Thin Water Tracker
    I hve been there this year but the est side of sand Islnd should be put out some trout it did last year at this time. with this wind it will put on the the right drifts. start up close were the high bank meet the beach and touts and meat should put a few in the boat for you. Going to start working the salt myself next month it's hard to give up on the cats and the crappie right now. thy have been keeping me in fish stock. The trout are stating to show up goo on the beach front soon as this wind drops a little I think it going to bust wide open. rollover should start putting out some big gals soon.

The east side of sand island sounds like fun. Is there any shell or special areas to try and drift across? Hows the bottom for wading? A south wind is what is best for here? Get any big waves from the ocean liners? Thanks for the hint on a new spot. Always like to try a new spots. I'll let you know if I try it out this week-end depending on the wind. When you hit the salts, let me know if you need a deckhand. I don't take much room, never complain and will help clean the boat . Thanks again for sharing this honey hole.

Thin Water Tracker
    It had a hard sand bottom and some shell mostly sand. When you get out there if you line up on the spot I pointed out a east to north east drift should put you on fishing if they are there. when your drifting watch your depth sounder and try to drif the area were the sand flat starts to drop off to the channel justsoutheast of the Island. What I found last year was that the change of just a foot made the bite better. Also when were up close to the shoreline in the morning hold on there are some big reds and trout that will be running off the flat close to shore. South wind works even I light east and north east a west wind is just about the onlu one it hard to get a good drift on. Believe he whne I say once you fished it you'll be back. Also in the cooler morning it pays to work the grass line in the cove on the west side of the island before it warms up there good trout that will be working the grass line. it only about foot deep back there but they will be there before the sun gets high.