Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cownose Stingray?

al

Cownose Stingray?

I heard a few say you can eat them. Cought 2 yesterday one 22 lbs the other 24 lbs. Have meat in the freezer. Let one go today because I`m not sure if I will like the way they taste . Recipes, cooking methods, opinions on taste, how to clean them without wasting alot of meat would be great. Thanks Al

Thin Water Tracker
    Before you get ready to cook it should be soaked for a few hours. I have always done a salt water soak for a few hours and then three or four if not over night in milk. Ray is a lot like shark. When you clean it you need to make sure and get it clean if possible don’t leave the skin on long and chill it down as fast as you can. I like it fried some people blacken it and cook it on the pit. Once to get the skin off you’ll the meat is little squares larger to the center of the wings and they get smaller as it go out to the wing tip. Each square has a membrane around it in the larger ones it pay to remove the membrane. If the wings were chill down good and fast then it’s not the big of a problem. Fried it just like you would other fish. If you cook it on the pit use a butter / garlic mixture to keep it moist on the pit. If you get a fish taste then it could be one of if not all of three things. It wasn’t clean good took to long to chill it down or it was a bigger ray and the meat need to be removed from the membrane. One other way I have had it was like scampi it in garlic and butter on the stove top or in the oven.

al
    Thanks TinWtrTrkr. I fried a piece today befor I read your reply. I cut part of it into marbel size chunks and fried them with Panko bread crumbs. Tasted good but not like scallops like a few people told me. Sliced a bit of the meat into strips (like a BB-Q brisket) and fried with 3/4 corn meal and 1/4 flour, salt and several shakes of Old Bay seasoning. It tasted even better. Fried the last big 1 and 1/2 inch steak in the same mixture and it also tasted good. It had a texture of chicken breast but had it`s own unique flovor. It did not taste fishy, and I did put it on ice just after I cought it like you said, but I didn`t remove the skin untill I cleaned them about 3 1/2 hours later. The soaking thing dose sound like a good idea, maby it will take alot of the blood out, although the blood didn`t make it taste bad to me and my family. I don`t know if the size of the rays made the texture like chicken breast (wich I didn`t mind, actually liked) but they were in the 22 to 24 lb range. Thanks for your help and one more question TinWtrTrkr. Were you the one that my son and I went out jugging on Sat. durring the Feb. Lake Houston Gathering on TROBs boat with Medulla and Muscat? Just woundering. Later al

Thin Water Tracker
    Yes I believe so. If that when Medulla got his 35lb blue. 6'2" about 260lbs long haired still stuck in the 70's.

al
    Yea when Medulla bought that big blue. Stuck in the 70`s, yea that was you.LOL

Thin Water Tracker
    I got such joy watching your son when that fish was pulled on the boat. You have the fine makings of a fisherman there. It reminded me of my girls when I would take them to the beach at that age and it took a few trips for them to understand why I was letting them go. I always fished with three rods and to see a seven year old reel in a 40 inch red on a 14 foot surf was one of the joy in my life I'll have always. they got really good at get those rods out of the PVC holders them self standing in a chair. Those are the real joy of life and with that fine son of your you'll have a lot to look back on in later years. You and your son are always welcome on my boat.

al
    Hey TinWtrTrker I envy you. I only get Antony every other weekend and I make the best of it. Fishing and auto sports are his thing and I try my best to give him both every time I get him, just like you do with the girls. I remember what Gator said at the Lake Houston gathering" Spend every moment you can with your kids". I know Gator dose. Thanks for your replies about the rays and hope to meet you again. Antony and I did show up for the Conroe Muster on Sat. but but did not see you there. Later Al. PS Ray taste good. I`ll eat anything as long as it don`t eat me first.LOL

Senior Member Master in FishingTX CajunDan's Avatar
    Try de ray in crawfish water..... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Phish On!

al
    Dose it turn out spicy? My girl dosent like spicy food like my son and I do. So dose boiling changes the flavor, or the texture as well. I kinda liked the chicken breast texture as well as the rest of the pack did. Is smaller Ray more tender?(more like fish,Flaky?)

Thin Water Tracker
    The smallest I have ever clean had a two foot wing span. I didn't weight it. I would think the smaller the better to a point. I'm not sure though.