Thread: Food for the soul

Thin Water Tracker

Food for the soul

Why do I fish. I have be asked this so many times over the 40 years I have enjoyed this sport. This is something a lot of people can’t understand and it is beyond me why they can’t. when I ask them why they don’t they tell me they never have luck at it and it’s like standing around watching paint dry. That to them there are to many trips that they don’t catch fish to keep and it’s just not worth the time. I always tell them they are missing the boat. In that fishing isn’t just about what you can take home to me. Fish are a plus and the more you do it the better you get at it. That it’s not about luck to me. It’s about getting out and enjoying the time. Be it with family or friends or just spending the day by your self. For those that do fish a lot it’s a way of life and a way to enjoy life. Be it setting on a bank of a small creek catching small sun fish and willow cat or going offshore trolling for kings. It give a person time to be one with nature and to reflect on life.
    There is something to be said about setting on a bank and watching two squerls playing tag. To just laying back and enjoying the sounds of life nature makes. There is nothing better than setting on a beach watching the sun rise or set. Spending the time not just waiting for a the sound of a clicker to go off on a surf reel or laying back in the boat watching jugs flag one by one. Why do I fish? For the soul in today world we all need something to take our minds on what we deal with day in and day out. Each person has to have that place were they can forget about it all and just re-charge. Mine is on the water. Having a catch to take home is a plus but the enjoyment to me is what it’s all about.
    What I have found over the last 47 years is if you learn to enjoy something the pay off will come. There’s nothing better for the soul than mother nature. I have done a lot of things in my life and I have to say if there is true food for the soul it’s spending a day fishing. Just the view of an old broken down fisherman that has found to true meaning of enjoyment of life.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Very well said, Don thanks!! Starts my day off right!!

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    I agree with that 100%