Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: op jugs

Senior Member Master in FishingTX reedlv's Avatar
    yes sir!!!! Have you been jugging for a while Gator?
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    I have these op jugs fixed so the live bait will not flag them, ...i think... I'll put some of them out friday, on conroe or lake houston.

Mudcat where do you get your perch? Do you catchthem on rod or in traps.
    Work is a way to support a fishing habit and for those who do not know how to fish.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    If you give yourself and extra 2-3 ft of line deeper than the water ur fishing the juggs won't trip til big mattoiwampus cat hits it.

I also found that if you do not have enough slack. The waves will flag them when a boat passes or the wind kicks up.

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    Yes sie, thats why i tell people in rough water you gotta slide that foam down a little, and leave a little slack. you are so right.

Thin Water Tracker
    I'm still haven't problems with the bait dieing on me after a short time. the only way I haven't tried hooking them is trough the eyes. The best time I've gotten is about an hour and a half and had only two out of 10 that were still alive. I've tried top bottom just moved up and down away from the tail I sure I'm not hook them in in organs so I at a loss. but I'm going to try the eyes next time. I've had a lot of luck getting a supply of brim normlly 12 to 15 ever time I'm getting shad. you just about have to play with the devil when catching them getting close to cover like stumps and brush piles but it's worth the bait.

Perch are very easy to kill if you hook them to deep. I typically do not get the hook more than 1/2" from the top of the body. On the ones smaller than 3" in length the hook will be less than a 1/2". I have had the best luck hooking them toward the front of the top fin. Just ahead of the fin.

Thin Water Tracker
    I have been hooking only a 1/4 inch deep or less thinkng they would be able to pull off and still had the foat on me. it will be a week or two before I get the boat back and be up to getting on one( or before she will let me ) so I'm going to keep working on it. Till i work some thing out. I working on rigging up a bait tank for shad and being able to keep those pupies alive I think if those in the four to six inch range will be killer live baits.

I perfer 2-4" range. I have had better luck on the number of large one with that size. Although I will not throw a 6" one back without a hook in it.