Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy minnows

Where to buy minnows

We've been buying our minnows from April Plaza, but this week I had the 2 grandsons and went in to buy some minnows and found that April Plaza was under new ownership and they had jumped the price from $2.25/doz. to $3.00/doz.

The 2 bags we bought during this week were very much on the small side. Kinda a shock since we had just bought 3 doz. the weekend before for the $2.25 price. I realize prices on everything is going up, but such a jump in just a week --- WOW!!!!

Anyhow, was wondering where others are buying minnows and what price.

ot's bait ,,old humble rd south of beltway 8 ,,overalls Exxon 1485 and 59 new caney ,, Joe's drive thru ,, 2100 ,,, 2 miles north of 1960,,, huffman

yep what he said complain on the size i bieleve most of these places buy from oakhurst bait and they have all sizes, smallest cheapest and mark up the most =$. but let the owner or orderer know you want bigger minnows.
    thats whats bad about someone buying a business first thing they do is increase like houston marina $5 launch $10 launch
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!

john Guest
    New owners means high prices.The owner told me they are gonna put in a Bar and Grill on the north side of the building.I would do something with the messed up docks first.

I don't mind paying the higher price on the minnows if the minnows were larger. One of the minnows was only 1" in length. Of course you can't see that when you are picking out the bag and 3 doz wiggling & darting minnows are trying to figure a way out of the bag.

Our place is in Walden and I have not seen any bait places along Hwy 105 either in Conroe or in Montgomery.

I guess what irks me the most is the sudden jump in price -- one week 2.25 (might have been 2.35) then the next it's $3.00 for tiny fish.

If I thought I could make the minnows last, I would buy them at the Humble place that was suggested. But it's a 1-1/2 hr. drive from our place here in Kingwood to our place in Walden. Don't think the minnows will last that long.

Wish I had the money and I would open a small bait store near Montgomery. Oh well, if anyone hears of a place with reasonable minnows, please revisit this thread.

NewCaneyFishingLady Guest
    I don't know about now but we used to buy minnows at the Valero on 105 at Marina Dr. across the cove from McDonalds.

April Plaza Marina has 'em. You can get 1 to 5 dozen in a bag and they're pretty big suckers. I normally buy 5 dz and take 'em home and put 'em in the fish aquarium and feed them gold fish food. they do a good job of staying alive if ya have a filter. There is also a little drive in that sells minnows on FM 1097 about 2 miles west of the bridge but thats out of your way.

Quote Originally Posted by irfishyir2 View Post
    April Plaza Marina has 'em. You can get 1 to 5 dozen in a bag and they're pretty big suckers. I normally buy 5 dz and take 'em home and put 'em in the fish aquarium and feed them gold fish food. they do a good job of staying alive if ya have a filter. There is also a little drive in that sells minnows on FM 1097 about 2 miles west of the bridge but thats out of your way.
    April Plaza is the marina that I'm talking about. They only sell up to 3 dozen in a bag and what we bought this past week were on the very small to tiny size. The new owner jumped the price by .75/doz in one week.

I haven't tried the Valero station that NCFL spoke of, I'll certainly check that out. And I know about the one on FM 1097 but as you say, it's way out of my way.

I may have to do as someone said, speak to the owner about the size of the minnows --- I could buy them 1 doz at a time - that way I can inspect what I'm buying, but I don't know if they have a different price for the 1 dozen bag vs the 3 dozen bag.....I'll check that out.

I was wondering how to keep minnows alive from week to week - hate just throwing them away and often we have a few left in the bucket. No one around us fishes with minnows, so can't give them away.

Look around at garage sales or flea mkts for a small aquarium and keep them alive that way !!
    Make my day!

Get Mine At Circle S Hardware On F,m. 2978 4dz $6.50
    Large Ones . There # Is 281-356-7970-