Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling For Striped Bass on Lake Livingston?

Trolling For Striped Bass on Lake Livingston?

For a number of years now I've fished Lake Livingston and caught my hearts desire in White Bass and have become comfortable with their seasonal patterns. In the midst of these white bass I find small Stripers that have unbroken lines on theirs backs, definitily not Hybrids or Wipers. I catch them frequently and usually mixed in with the White Bass just before sunrise or right at dusk. Can these stripers be found on Lake Livingston in larger sizes? I know they are very light sensitive and prefer deep water channels following bait fish. I have jet divers and what not for white bass but im not sure they go deep enough at 20ft. Does anyone have any experience with trolling deeper waters with any success? Or catching these Striped Bass in larger sizes on the Main lake. Lake Record for a Striped Bass is 31lbs from 1986 Wow ..where are these fish?

We troll around Pine Island and we have caught stripper ranging 24 inchs and up

Chrish2 is offline Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler

Striper

Try vertical jigging

bob w is offline Senior Member FishingTX Skilled Angler
    You might try the GREEN JET DIVER with #13 Tony Acetta Spoon w/chartruse feather.Let line out about 150 + feet using 20# mono & troll speed at 6 mph. The green is rated at 40 ft. depth.The red & green both have a rattle inside.The red one is rated at 30 ft. But the right speed & line out is crucial. Try it you will like it. GOOD LUCK. If you have any question p.m. me. Bob

RT you are getting me excited ! I can't wait for the white bass and striper chasing this year with my fishingtx friends ! I would be glad to share with you any info whenever the time comes and I start scouting out around pine island with my side image .

I could tell you about last year but I don't know what these stripers will be doing for this year. Don't know how many of these nice 18-26" stripers that we were seeing this year got washed out of the lake or what it will be like .

I only caught them last year by getting them when they were going ballistic blowing the shad up on top early Am in the mornings not trolling . I could only catch the dinks trolling 16-17" which are throw backs .

One thing that I noticed is that those fish move fast ! Somedays I was driving way past idle just to keep up with the school as they chased the shad !

I know your question is about catching the big ones trolling . I have purchased some different diving Baits like the large rapala ones that I was going to tie a spoon to and troll with . These should get them down to the 30 foot range . I thinking that you may want to get the bait down to where it is almost bumping the bottom to get them . When I use my graph I would see the larger arches right off the bottom . When I slabbed on them , I was usually getting those 17" ones . Those large ones are out there but it just seems like sometimes it is impossible to catch them because those 17" ones are jumping on the bait before anything else can ! I thought that I would never complain about catching a 17" fish but .... LOL !!!!!!!
    A bad day fishing is better than a great day working !

Live your life to the fullest !! That way when you die, the preacher doesn't have to lie.

DAng lets go now !!
    Make my day!

Chrish2 is offline Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler

spring 2010

so much to learn i plan to hit livingston hard this year any help would be great or if i can be of any assistance let me know

I have always used Hellbenders with hooks removed trail a slab about 4 ft off that.

Great info guys.

I know that Bob W has caught big Strippers and Hybrids. The info he gave is what I plan on trying.

Very helpful information thank you to all who replied