Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you know?

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar

Did you know?

The once you cut a fish anywhere the deteriorate process starts. I found this out from a fish biologist who holds a PHD and is head of the department where he teaches. So the people who are cutting the fins off of catfish before putting them in the cooler or live well are make a mistake and the fish would keep much better and have less bacteria without breaking the skin.
    That's yours ffor what it's worth on Memorial Day.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com

Senior Member Master in FishingTX GILBERT G's Avatar
    Thats good to know cause I do that...reason is because when I put them in the cooler they poke each other and causes a foul smell , specially in conroe where the cats eat lots of home made sour chum
    God Be With You

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Good to know info.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    Thanks Jackie, wondering if just breaking the sharp points off the ends of the fins causes the deterioration too? I also do is because of what Gil says, they poke holes in each other in the ice chest.

Gil, Everything the fish won't eat at Conroe gets washed down to L Houston. Just think of what they smell like from L Houston?
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Senior Member Master in FishingTX muleherder's Avatar
    So does the deterioration process start also when the skin gets broken by other fishes fins? If so, you're durned if you do and durned if'n you don't. Pretty much a wash whether you break the fins off to start it or they poke each other and start it. Can you slow down the process by putting your fish on ice to lower the temperature?

What starts the deterioration? Exposure of the meat to air or is it the entrance of fish slime on the meat? Very interesting subject.
    FishMaster 192
    Suzuki DF 115

My Stress Relievers

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    WOW so if yo udo yo ud o????

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    it is the break in the skin and exposure to the bacteria on the skin. Ever notice how when they get a fin stuck in em how it red and swollen around the injury. I will not argue the point because I'm simply passing on what I was told by a very knowledgeable person, who writes books of fish nutrition. I really believe he was referring to the fish being gutted and and left int he cooler, but I'm unsure of that. As time goes on I will also post other little tid bits of information he passed on to me. Most come up in general conversation, I could just sit and listen to this person for days. I'm sure he would tire of my less than stellar questions.
    Other topics will be how to tell a male from a female blue cat and how to quickly tell the difference in a gizzard and thread fin shad. These topics will be a little later on when I get caught up, if there is any interest.
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Keep info coming. Always cool to read info from fishing.
    Remember, always help who you can, whether you know them or not, blessings come when you least expect it.
    My intro - http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19508

Senior Member FishingTX Accomplished Angler Guitarcfd82's Avatar
    Write a book jackie...I'll buy it...LOL

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    JK is "The Walking Legend", I can attest to that !!
    Thanks for sharing JK!!