PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Starter Set

croxt
12-29-2007, 11:38 PM
well, after reading all of the posts about cast iron, and seeing the pics of the food, I got my first piece from Santa.

Nothing big. a 10" camping dutch oven from Lodge. Can't wait to get back from Ireland and cook up a mess of beans in it.

I learned why these are seasoned outdoors........after rubbing with crisco and baking in the oven for an hour........house had an unusual smell in it. The wife and dog said next time I decide to season cast iron, it will be outdoors.

I was reading the literature that came with it and saw where they recommend rotating the pot on the coals 1/4 turn every 15 minutes to eliminate any hot spots in the oven. They also said to rotate the lid on the pot also.

look for pictures soon.

Scotta
12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Looks good.

Hook 'em Horns

tylerdan
12-30-2007, 07:26 AM
croxt, I had the same experience once. Made the house smell like well done cooking oil. The wife sure didn't like it. Now I season them in the gas bar-b-que grill outside. On my three burner grill, two burners just off low will keep it at about 350. Wife is much happier.

NewCaneyFishingLady
12-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Nice oven. You are in Ireland?

Ole Bill
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
looks good nice golden patena will turn black with use and serve you well for years of fine cooking next time have santa bring you the preseasoned one and you wont have to stink up the house or worry about casting oils to clean off

Layton
12-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Nice. croxt I use mine to fry fish in works great. Enjoy it.

jighed
12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Congratulations, it's looking good. I got the deep skillet/chicken fryer Lodge logic for Christmas. The lid doubles as a skillet.
I like yours with the legs. I can already smell the stew, soup, bisquits and peach cobbler. Take care of it and she'll take care of you.

croxt
12-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Not Yet Sue. I leave on the 2nd and will be back the 10th. both business and personal. I am 7th generation Irish (on my mom's side). They have traced geneology to county Tyrone. Tyrone is only 2 counties away from where i will be staying (Belfast) and I plan on looking for relatives. If it is like western Pennsylvania, the hills are crawling with Hanlins and Hollands. Family moved here in 1794.

I wanted to cook up a mess of beans but my wife said we can't eat them all before i go, she won't eat them while i am gone and we don't have the freezer space.

Ole Bill, my mom had several skillets that were black like you reference. I wish I had inherited them but wasn't so lucky.

Gentleben
12-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Do it in your BBQ pit and save your marrriage ,I tried to season my castiron using my wifes stove and she threw me and my castiron out the back door!!
Use lard or olive oil instead of crisco!!

NewCaneyFishingLady
12-30-2007, 11:06 PM
That is neat, Clark! Have a safe trip and enjoy your voyage.

roadtrip57
12-31-2007, 04:08 AM
lard is good ,,never used olive oil ,, the best is bacon drippings smells so good too, then cook up ends and pieces ,,lots of drippings,,my mom still has a large can by the stove with bacon drippings ,, the best seasoning for almost everything or to fry with

Ole Bill
12-31-2007, 06:21 AM
lard is good ,,never used olive oil ,, the best is bacon drippings smells so good too, then cook up ends and pieces ,,lots of drippings,,my mom still has a large can by the stove with bacon drippings ,, the best seasoning for almost everything or to fry withyea and them pesky doctors tell ya it aint good for ya if it aint why did my ole granpappy live ta be 104 years old and grandma was over 100 when she left this world. all i can say is bring on the bacon grease cause thats about all she would cook with that and lard

Gentleben
12-31-2007, 06:30 AM
RT i have not cooked with olive oil is too expensive but i use lard in the green and white box or bucket for all my castiron !!!:applause:

dwaynez
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Cast Iron is always great, look forward to more pics soon

Gentleben
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Castiron high cholesterol breakfast :lighting:

dwaynez
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Breakfast of Champions

looks good to me

Gentleben
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Guess ya all know by now i have earned the name Bennie Crocker, Betty Crocker's brother bwahahahahha, I love to cook and use castiron for just about all my meals !!

gator
01-30-2008, 06:55 PM
you go ben looks good

Gentleben
04-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Made myself hungry guess i'll go fireup de stove bwahhahhaaaaaaaaa:secret:
My cooking will wake up de Warden and she'll be ready :icon_redface:

Gentleben
09-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Again!!!!!!!!!:secret:Bump!!:lighting:

Ole Bill
09-30-2008, 08:54 AM
well where is the pic bump bump.........:lighting:

Gentleben
11-29-2011, 10:28 PM
I just love to cook in castiron!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

Lou The Fisherman
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I just love to cook in castiron!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

I cook in my cast iron at least twice a week.

Corn Bread
Beans
Pork Chops
Bacon
Eggs
Chicken
Fish
Various roadkills along the way!

Linestreatcher
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I use cast iron every day just like grandma did....Its my everday pans....

Uncle Doug
11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Just use caution when using cast iron on glass top stoves. My rental unit stove has a huge crack in the stove top thanks to a careless cooker.

I did end up with some discarded cast iron stuff when they moved. Not sure what I will do with them.