PDA

View Full Version : new scam

gator
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Jury Duty Scam DO NOT DELETE WITHOUT READING !

This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass
this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared
should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously,
but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of fraud
has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a
summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date
of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give
out any of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and
Colorado. This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation
over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are
with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide
alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here: http: //www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

And here: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Scotta
01-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Gator

NewCaneyFishingLady
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
That is some "need to know" info! Thanks Gator!

Scotta
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
My ss number is between 000-000-0000 and 999-999-9999
My birthday is this year.
Now dont call me. you have it.
lol

greyloon
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
If you don't want to hang up and want to play, respond the he/she should have that information and if he/she will tell them what number they have, then you'll confirm or not. I'd say no if they came up with a number. Another response is to ask for a telephone number you can call to be sure they are who they are supposed to be. That'll get rid of them.

Ole Bill
01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
my thoughts exactly greyloon i like to play with those idiots. its easy to understand that if there is a warrant because you fail to appear for jury duty then they must have your correct phone number and if they have that then they can find out your correct address to serve a warrant. if the sheriff doesnt serve the warrant then he or she is remiss in their duty so i like to do what you do only in a very sarcastic and nasty manner besides that i am not a registered voter in the state of texas nor am i licensed here so i know automatically these phone calls would be false. as far as the summons i get from oklahoma are easy to get out of cause i am out of state most of the time yet this is excellent advise because this scam has been happening in several states i hope im called cause i want to play bwaaaaaaaaaahahahaha